Windows 7 Invalid Password - Keylogger Virus

List,

My computer has been infected by a Key Logger Virus. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and I am no longer able to log on because the virus has infected my password. Each time I attempt to log on, I get a message stating that I have an invalid userid/password. I am confident that I have entered my password correctly.

I have my Windows 7 Ultimate update disk and I have tried to restore to an earlier "working" environment but the problem persists. I stupidly did not do a full backup of my machine (have data only) so I do not have a backup image to revert to.

Using my upgrade disk, I am able to get to the command prompt. I have used Malwarebytes in the past but do not have it installed on the infected machine but I do have it on a USB drive.

My question is, is it possible to run Malwarebytes (or another anti-virus tool) to remove the virus from the command prompt using a USB drive? Do I have any other options left? I am hoping not to have to clean the disk and start all over.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Jim Mucka

Chris,

You were right and I have been able to bring my machine up in safe mode with networking.

I can bring up IE but as soon as my home page (msnnbc.com) comes up but the virus immediately takes over and says their is a security alert. I entered the Malwarebytes site url and the site comes up but the virus takes over and the security alert comes up.

Not sure what the next step should be. I have downloaded the Malwarebytes software and put it on a USB drive using another machine. I tried executing some of the .exes with no luck.

Could you let me know what to do next? I have another computer that I can use to download software.

Thanks answering my post and any additioal information you can provide.

Jim

Chris,

I have successfully removed the Keylogger virus after downloading the free version and installing it on the infected machine.

I followed-up by purchasing the full version of the product which I now have running on the previously infected machine.

Thanks for injecting some common sense. I will try and get less excited if I ever get infected again. Hopefully that won't happen with the full version of the product installed.

Jim Mucka

Chris,

No, I have Pro running and it is updating the database regularly and has caught a couple viruses. I did try and get Microsoft Security Essentials to run but it wanted to be the only security software so I just left well enough alone with Malwarebytes Pro running.

Thanks again,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

I did a little homework regarding anti-virus software based on your suggestion. I had been using Microsoft Security Essentials but I think the keylogger got passed that. At this point, I can't be sure if it was on or not when I was infected.

To get some additional security, I tried to disable the protection module of Malwarebytes Pro in order to turn Microsoft Security Essentials back on (MS requires no other antivirus software to be running) until I get a new anti-virus program. I have not been able to disable the protection module via the Malwarebytes Pro menu. Does this mean I need to uninstall Malwarebytes Pro before I install a new antivirus program?

Also, I read PC Magazines review of security applications and thought about Webroot Antivirus with Spy Sweeper 2011 but a number of users have complained about resources being used up. If it is appropriate, can you recommend or give me suggestions on some antivirus software that is effective from a security standpoint and is easy on system resources?

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!