TDL4 persistent. ComboFix found it 3 times and disinfected it 3 times! Hitman found MBR.exe.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need an empirical case to record the exact percentage from task manager. I will have opportunity soon.

I shall correct my description of the CD drive problem. Because another computer cannot read right volumn off the same CDs, either. Most CDs are Memorex CD-R 700MB. They are read under 100MB or 300 something MB. The Office Depot CD is read at 665 MB though. Does that mean the problem is with the Memorex CDs, but not the computer? Or does that mean certain malware affected Memorex CD?

Thank you.

ss10000

I just experienced another incidence of significant hard drive activity (judged by the hard drive light and the sound of grinding). The task manager shows 100% the moment it was fired up and then dropped to around 50%. It stays around 50% and sometimes dropped to around 30% then came back up to around 50%. It died down on its own.

what do you mean by "culprit"?
The cause. :)

Without you being able to determine which program exactly is using the CPU, there is really no way to determine the problem (or if this is any problem). It is well possible that it is a scheduled process (like an update check) running.

At this point you can safely use your computer (of course be sure your protection is adequate and up to date, and you have a safe surfing behavior and do not leave sensitive data on unknown sites).

How do the Memorex CD's read on your other XP computer?

In that case, the CD's are the culprit. either they have the wrong format, or simply have become corrupted. This is not related to your computer.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.

[*]Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.

[*]A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.

[*]Notepad will open with the results.

[*]Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.

[*]Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.

Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

I clicked on DDS.pif. It opens very quickly a notepad window with huge amount of messy and unrecognizable codes.

I clicked on DDS.scr. It asked for permission to run. I allowed.

I disconnect from internet then pause av. I double click on the DDS icon. It opens up a notepad window with huge amount of messy and unrecognizable codes.

I have deleted DDS and run CCleaner.

How to proceed?

Try this instead.

OTL

-----

Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:

[*]Save it to your desktop.

[*]Double click on the otlicon.png icon on your desktop.

[*]Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.

[*]Push the runscan.png button.

[*]Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:

• OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
  • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized

How are things running besides this?

Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

everything else seems normal.

log of security check--

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.7

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8

``````````````````````````````

Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Disabled!

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010

Antivirus up to date!

```````````````````````````````

Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

HijackThis 2.0.2

CCleaner

Java 6 Update 3

Out of date Java installed!

Adobe Flash Player 10.3.181.34

Adobe Reader 7.1.0

Out of date Adobe Reader installed!

````````````````````````````````

Process Check:

objlist.exe by Laurent

Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 avp.exe

``````````End of Log````````````

Thank you.

ss10000

How are things running at this point?

Your version of Adobe Reader is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Adobe components and update:

• Download the latest version of Adobe Reader Version X. and save it to your desktop.
  • Uncheck the "Free McAfee Security plan Plus" option or any other Toolbar you are offered
  • Click the download button at the bottom.
  • If you use Internet Explorer and do not wish to install the ActiveX element, simply click on the click here to download link on the next page.
  • Remove all older version of Adobe Reader: Go to Add/remove and uninstall all versions of Adobe Reader, Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat.
    If you are unsure of how to use Add or Remove Programs, the please see this tutorial:How To Remove An Installed Program From Your Computer
  • Then from your desktop double-click on Adobe Reader to install the newest version.
    If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
  • When the "Adobe Setup - Welcome" window opens, click the Install > button.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.

Your Adobe Reader is now up to date!

Your version of Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.

• Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6.
  • Look for "JDK 6 Update 26 (JDK or JRE).
  • Click the "Download JRE" button at the right.
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
    • Select "Windows x86 Offline" and click on jre-6u26-windows-i586.exe

[*]Save it to your desktop

[*]Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.

[*]Uninstall all older versions of Java (any item with Java Runtime Environment, JRE or J2SE in the name).

[*]Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.

[*]Install the newest version by double clicking (run as Administrator for Windows Vista/Seven) the downloaded file.

ESET ONLINE SCANNER

----------------------------

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

1. Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  2. Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  3. For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

1. Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    2. Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png
      icon on your desktop.

3. Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
    4. Click the Start button.
    5. Accept any security warnings from your browser.
    6. Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
    7. Click Advanced settings and select the following:
      • Scan potentially unwanted applications
      • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
      • Enable Anti-Stealth technology

[*]ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.

[*]When the scan completes, click List Threats

[*]Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

[*]Click the Back button.

[*]Click the Finish button.

When it finishes, it doesn't supply the options to list threats or export report. It doesn't generate a log. But it does say zero threat though. It scanned the operating memory and local drives for more than 8 hours! I notice the full version is called Eset NOD. Is NOD the initials for Norton?

ss10000

How are things running at this point?

Your version of Adobe Reader is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Adobe components and update:

• Download the latest version of Adobe Reader Version X. and save it to your desktop.
  • Uncheck the "Free McAfee Security plan Plus" option or any other Toolbar you are offered
  • Click the download button at the bottom.
  • If you use Internet Explorer and do not wish to install the ActiveX element, simply click on the click here to download link on the next page.
  • Remove all older version of Adobe Reader: Go to Add/remove and uninstall all versions of Adobe Reader, Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat.
    If you are unsure of how to use Add or Remove Programs, the please see this tutorial:How To Remove An Installed Program From Your Computer
  • Then from your desktop double-click on Adobe Reader to install the newest version.
    If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
  • When the "Adobe Setup - Welcome" window opens, click the Install > button.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.

Your Adobe Reader is now up to date!

Your version of Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.

• Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6.
  • Look for "JDK 6 Update 26 (JDK or JRE).
  • Click the "Download JRE" button at the right.
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
    • Select "Windows x86 Offline" and click on jre-6u26-windows-i586.exe

[*]Save it to your desktop

[*]Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.

[*]Uninstall all older versions of Java (any item with Java Runtime Environment, JRE or J2SE in the name).

[*]Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.

[*]Install the newest version by double clicking (run as Administrator for Windows Vista/Seven) the downloaded file.

ESET ONLINE SCANNER

----------------------------

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

1. Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  2. Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  3. For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

1. Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    2. Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png
      icon on your desktop.

3. Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
    4. Click the Start button.
    5. Accept any security warnings from your browser.
    6. Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
    7. Click Advanced settings and select the following:
      • Scan potentially unwanted applications
      • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
      • Enable Anti-Stealth technology

[*]ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.

[*]When the scan completes, click List Threats

[*]Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

[*]Click the Back button.

[*]Click the Finish button.

I forgot to say that I don't upgrade Acrobat. The reason is that Acrobat Reader 7.0 doesn't change the scale of drawings. If the drawing specifies 1/8"=1' and I set the zoom to 100% then put my architecture scale to the computer screen, I get correct measurements on version 7 but not version 9. I haven't tried 10 and 11. But I don't need them if 7 can do it.

ss10000

I understand your reasoning for keeping Adobe Reader that way, but I want you to be aware of the exploits used (for example, a well known ransomware infection, which encrypts personal files and then demands payment to decrypt them, uses Adobe Reader exploits in older versions to install). Be very careful when opening unknown pdf's.

ALL CLEAN

--------------

Your machine appears to be clean, please take the time to read below on how to secure the machine and take the necessary steps to keep it clean :)

Please do the following to remove the remaining programs from your PC:

• Delete the tools used during the disinfection:
    • Click start > run and type combofix /uninstall, press enter. This will remove Combofix from your computer.

Please read these advices, in order to prevent reinfecting your PC:

1. Install and update the following programs regularly:
    • an outbound firewall. If you are connected to the internet through a router, you are already behind a hardware firewall and as such you do not need an extra software firewall.
      A comprehensive tutorial and a list of possible firewalls can be found here.
    • an AntiVirus Software
      It is imperative that you update your AntiVirus Software on regular basis.If you do not update your AntiVirus Software then it will not be able to catch the latest threats.
    • an Anti-Spyware program
      Malware Byte's Anti Malware is an excellent Anti-Spyware scanner. It's scan times are usually under ten minutes, and has excellent detection and removal rates.
      SUPERAntiSpyware is another good scanner with high detection and removal rates.
      Both programs are free for non commercial home use but provide a resident and do not nag if you purchase the paid versions.
    • Spyware Blaster
      A tutorial for Spywareblaster can be found here. If you wish, the commercial version provides automatic updating.

[*]Keep Windows (and your other Microsoft software) up to date!

I cannot stress how important this is enough. Often holes are found in Internet Explorer or Windows itself that require patching. Sometimes these holes will allow an attacker unrestricted access to your computer.

Therefore, please, visit the Microsoft Update Website and follow the on screen instructions to setup Microsoft Update. Also follow the instructions to update your system. Please REBOOT and repeat this process until there are no more updates to install!!

[*]Keep your other software up to date as well

Software does not need to be made by Microsoft to be insecure. You can use the Secunia Online Software occasionally to help you check for out of date software on yourmachine.

[*]Stay up to date!

The MOST IMPORTANT part of any security setup is keeping the software up to date. Malware writers release new variants every single day. If your software updates don't keep up, then the malware will always be one step ahead. Not a good thing.

Some more links you might find of interest:

Please reply to this topic if you have read the above information. If your computer is working fine, this topic will be closed afterwards.