IP Block Baloon

Anything in development to provide a little more info either in the IP Block balloon or protection log ? I am suggesting a reverse lookup of the IP Address to display origin, eg, China, Russia, etc. Maybe even another TAB where you could click on the blocked IP and show a trace on world map, similar to Mcafee's Trace. ??

Anything in development to provide a little more info either in the IP Block balloon or protection log ? I am suggesting a reverse lookup of the IP Address to display origin, eg, China, Russia, etc. Maybe even another TAB where you could click on the blocked IP and show a trace on world map, similar to Mcafee's Trace. ??

I should have been more specific. It is a pain in the butt to copy & paste from the Protection log and do the IP lookup manually., which is what I do daily, using some other IP Lookup APP. Why doesn't MBAM incorporate that automatically and report it into the balloon and Log ?

I installed Zonealarm Firewall (free version) and it shows outgoing programs connections & their path. Also, the Incoming IP blocks show here, and are eliminated from the MBAM Protection Log. So except for manual IP Lookup, all is well !

• 2 weeks later...

I should have been more specific. It is a pain in the butt to copy & paste from the Protection log and do the IP lookup manually., which is what I do daily, using some other IP Lookup APP. Why doesn't MBAM incorporate that automatically and report it into the balloon and Log ?

I came here to suggest the same.

At the very least, make the IP address a clickable link to open a lookup webpage.

I came here to suggest the same.

At the very least, make the IP address a clickable link to open a lookup webpage.

Hello pantaz: :welcome:

I do not speak for Malwarebytes.

Though your idea is good and worthwhile, many of us don't wish to see MBAM turn into bloatware. Your favorite browser can have an add-on that achieves what you seek. My 2 cents.

Cheers :)

Hello pantaz: :welcome:

I do not speak for Malwarebytes.

Though your idea is good and worthwhile, many of us don't wish to see MBAM turn into bloatware. Your favorite browser can have an add-on that achieves what you seek. My 2 cents.

Cheers :)

Then maybe they should not try to be a firewall also. Stick to what they know - Malware

Then maybe they should not try to be a firewall also. Stick to what they know - Malware

Hello ksiemb:

All my systems (Linux & Windows) are hardware firewalled. I also employ another vendor's personal firewall on all my XP based systems.

When and if I receive an IP block from MBAM, I'm grateful it's there and I've learned to forgive the extremely few FP's that appear. Yes - they do know malware.

I think you will grow to greatly appreciate your decision to purchase the PRO upgrade.

HTH :)

We know malware, we also know the common IP ranges that it frequently resides on, so we use an IP filter block list to protect users from connecting to these IP's, which is a very proactive method of guarding against infections, even new infections that nobody detects yet (since a single IP can cover a multitude of actual domain names, which are often dynamic, making them harder to track).

A firewall determines what programs have access to the internet, we do not do that, we filter IP's, similar to how a HOSTS file works (which is also not a firewall), except instead of using lists of static domain names the way a HOSTS file does, we use IP addresses.

We know malware, we also know the common IP ranges that it frequently resides on, so we use an IP filter block list to protect users from connecting to these IP's, which is a very proactive method of guarding against infections, even new infections that nobody detects yet (since a single IP can cover a multitude of actual domain names, which are often dynamic, making them harder to track).

Fascinating, thanks for the detailed info. Makes me even more glad I purchased when I read things like this.

You're welcome :)

The malicious website blocking component of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware PRO is one of my favorite features because of how powerful it truly is at protecting against new and unknown threats (including malicious advertisements in safe web pages/drive-by downloads etc.).

• 3 weeks later...

On Windows Vista and Windows 7, it does show the program that is making the outgoing connection, unfortunately on Windows XP and 2000, the API's do not exist to do so (at least not without a MAJOR rewrite to MBAM).

The API's must exist, as Zone Alarm ID's outgoing programs.

• 2 months later...