False Positive for Trojan Fake Alert

alicez

I just ran a MalwareBytes scan and it came up with two "infections:"

Vendor: Trojan.FakeAlert

Date: 6/17/2011

Category: File

Item: c:\documents and settings\Owner\my documents\TomTom\Home\Backup01\internalmemory\inst alltomtomhome.exe

Vendor: Trojan.FakeAlert

Date: 6/17/2011

Category: File

Item: c:\tomtom backup\installtomtomhome.exe

Does anyone know what these represent? I removed (quarantined) both of them. Did anyone else using MalwareBytes and TomTom Home get the same "treats?"

I'm seeing the same behavior.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6887

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

6/18/2011 10:25:22 AM

mbam-log-2011-06-18 (10-25-19).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)

Objects scanned: 296290

Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

d:\TomTom\HOME\Backup\ONE\Backup01\internalmemory\installtomtomhome.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.

d:\TomTom\HOME\Backup\XXL\Backup01\internalmemory\installtomtomhome.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.

• 3 weeks later...

This will be fixed in the next update.

I too am getting a false positive "Trojan.FakeAlert" for 8 encrypted steganography exe files that I created myself several years ago. They have been scanned (at least i assume so) by Malwarebytes scans for a long time now (stored on my computer for a long time now)and never being flagged as files containing trojans, etc until recently. What can be done to correct these false positives?

Thanks!

Please zip and attach at least 1 detected file.

Hello, due to the sensitive nature of the content in the files I would rather not attach and have any of the files posted in the forum.

I may consider sending one of the files in a zip file to you directly if it will help you guys out. If you feel the best solution is to just tell Malwarebytes to quit scanning them then I can live with that as well. What is the best way to set the program to not scan these files in the future as they come up in every scan that currently takes place?

Thanks

Hello, due to the sensitive nature of the content in the files I would rather not attach and have any of the files posted in the forum.

I may consider sending one of the files in a zip file to you directly if it will help you guys out. If you feel the best solution is to just tell Malwarebytes to quit scanning them then I can live with that as well. What is the best way to set the program to not scan these files in the future as they come up in every scan that currently takes place?

Thanks

Anything you PM to me will only be seem directly by me.