mbam installed and runs, no UI

Our vista hp laptop recently starting running very slowly. Then recently when I try to mount a remoed able drive the system locks up.

I installed and can run mbam.exe, but no UI is presented. mbam.exe is in the running process list, but there is not UI to run a scan from. Similarly running from command line with .scan -full just returns.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post only DDS.txt directly into your reply.

Next, please run the PCPitstop Full Tests here (NOT the PCMatic scan or any other scan; simply register with the box on the left and you will be taken to the Full Tests/Overdrive Test). When the tests are complete, a results page will pop up. Copy and paste the URL of the Results screen and post it here for me.

I have downloaded and run dds.scr, it doesn't complete.

here is the command line output

As per the instructions you would have received, kindly ensure any onboard

script blocking tools have been disabled for they shall interfere with DDS.

DDS is a non-invasive diagnostic tool.

- DDS makes no registry writes/changes

- DDS does not create any permanent files/folders.

This scan should not take longer than three minutes to complete.

When the scan is complete, a logfile/report shall pop open.

Post the contents of the logfile to the forum where it was requested

########################################################

PCPitstop starts.. then hangs on checking drives C:\

What next?

Thanks

How long are you waiting for both of them to run? Ensure that you're not clicking around or doing anything while they're running.

I've let them run for over an hour...

As a side note, when I open windows explorer, and try to navigate to c: explorer hangs.

Thanks, What next?

• Staff

Hi,

Try this instead:

Download OTL.exe by OldTimer to your Desktop.

• Close all windows and double click OTL.exe.
  • Click Run Scan and let the program run uninterrupted.
  • It will produce two logs for you, one will pop up - OTL.txt, the other will be saved on your Desktop - Extras.txt. Post both logs in this thread.
  • You may need to use two posts to get it all.

Hi,

Try this instead:

Download OTL.exe by OldTimer to your Desktop.

• Close all windows and double click OTL.exe.
  • Click Run Scan and let the program run uninterrupted.
  • It will produce two logs for you, one will pop up - OTL.txt, the other will be saved on your Desktop - Extras.txt. Post both logs in this thread.
  • You may need to use two posts to get it all.

I downloaded to my desktop, and ran. The UI came up, I left all settings as default, and clicked scan. The status bar on the bottom stated "Getting Drive Info..." for the last two hours. no change. I'll leave it overnight, but I don't think it will make a difference.

• Staff

Hi,

This isn't looking good.

These are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD files that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.

If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Let me know how it goes.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!