Really Slow PC

Mitch22

Hi,

I have a painfully slow computer... I did everything on the pinned topic at the top of this forum, but don't know if it worked, as this thing has a mind of it's own... It could be fine tomorrow, and then it slows down... I have eliminated connection issues, as that is fine... I am thinking the Computer is just getting old and tired... But would anyone know what parts are getting tired??? I don't shut down the computer at night, as it takes a good 10 minutes to power up...

It's about 3 years old, Asus custom build... Running Windows XP SP3, Only use Firefox, but am thinking of trying Chrome... I was convinced, and pretty much still am that I am infected, so I did a complete reinstall of XP on the internal drive, and that didn't help at all...

Malware Bytes, Spybot, and AVG don't find anything, nor does Windows Security Essentials

Web pages load slow, but that's not what I'm talking about... It often goes to not responding, or freezes completely...

Any ideas on what I should replace, or should I just scrap it for a new build???

If you post tech stuff, English please... All of the computer stuff I posted is 90% of what I know...

Thanks

hello ,

just a thought here based on what you have said and my prior experiences with laptops (and some boxes) ...

your cpu might be "folding back/throttling back" due to running hot ... this can be caused by lack of airflow through the cpu cooling device and/or the cooling fan clogged or not running .

does the cooling fan "rev up" and stay in that condition ?

some asus machines do have a temp monitor program that can be told to run ... if so , try starting that program and look at the cpu temps (etc) .

ps ... personally speaking here ... i would stick with FF . ;)

Thanks,

You apparently nailed it... All the pages load fast, and the fan is quiet... It can sound like a Jet on the tarmac at times, and I'll know for sure if that's the problem then... Assuming it is, I have a see through case, and there is A LOT of dust in there... Can I vacuum it out??? The computer store said no, but they want to sell the canned air...

Thanks,

You apparently nailed it... All the pages load fast, and the fan is quiet... It can sound like a Jet on the tarmac at times, and I'll know for sure if that's the problem then... Assuming it is, I have a see through case, and there is A LOT of dust in there... Can I vacuum it out??? The computer store said no, but they want to sell the canned air...

Yes, power it off and unplug it, then push the power button to release any stored electricity. Be very gentle though as most components can be fragile.

"Yes, power it off and unplug it, then push the power button to release any stored electricity."

not really true or necessary ... power off and disconnect are all that are needed .

... there might be some confusion here with static charges and/or caps that are charged (but nothing in the laptop ever sees line voltage)...

the comp guys were correct in a way ... vacuuming from the outside won't do a lot of good .

you would have to disassemble the machine in order to use a vacuum and a soft hair brush .

"canned air" is an option ... i use an air compressor or tear the machine down .

the important part is to "back blow" the exhaust side of the heatsink cooling fins/outlet .

the dust and fine "schmutz" can be bad enough to form a felt-like material that clogs the air path .

the fan fins also can suffer from build up .

some manufactures have made this task a bit easier by incorporating a design and covers that are conducive to access .

the idea is to get rid of as much of this material as possible , elsewise , much of it can wind up back from whenst it came when the airflow is "normal" .

the stuff can be broken up/exhausted by repeated application of the canned air and firing up the machine , shutting it back down and back-blowing the path again .

the air inlet side can also become clogged if there is a mesh filter in place ... i have seen this in some machines . it usually resides inside the slotted/vented covers on the bottom .

there is usually more than one air inlet .

the best job is done by tear down and applying some elbow grease ...

but this procedure is not for the inexperienced and faint of heart .