Is my laptop still infected?

(I posted this originally in another section of the forum but I think it was the wrong place, but didn't know how to delete so apologies for reposting)

Hey,

So a while back my laptop got infected with the Windows Recovery virus and it took a day of various attempts to get it clean. I downloaded Malwarebytes and it worked a treat, and I still have it running now (very tempted to pay for the full version as I have the trial now. Doesn't sound much but I never pay for anti-malware. I'm still using the free Sophos protection from my uni halls and spybot, plus vista's own).

Anywho lately I've noticed that when I visit certain websites, usually ones I've not visited before (I've been researching Russian history recently, for example, so a lot of the pages that show up are as a result of image/google search. Some looks perfectly normal, others probably are the type to be infected) Malware pops up in the corner saying it's blocked an outgoing IP. Some of these websites don't show up, like they've been blocked, but others do and are perfectly fine.

I'm completely computer illiterate so I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I got this from the protection log from yesterday

10:06:25 Me MESSAGE Protection started successfully

10:06:31 Me MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

10:07:30 Me MESSAGE Scheduled update executed successfully

10:07:32 Me MESSAGE IP Protection stopped

10:07:37 Me MESSAGE Database updated successfully

10:07:39 Me MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

11:55:53 Me IP-BLOCK 89.248.165.135 (Type: outgoing, Port: 53094, Process: firefox.exe)

12:28:41 Me IP-BLOCK 91.197.130.247 (Type: outgoing, Port: 54275, Process: firefox.exe)

12:28:41 Me IP-BLOCK 91.197.130.247 (Type: outgoing, Port: 54352, Process: firefox.exe)

12:28:49 Me IP-BLOCK 88.208.32.151 (Type: outgoing, Port: 54409, Process: firefox.exe)

12:28:49 Me IP-BLOCK 88.208.32.20 (Type: outgoing, Port: 54410, Process: firefox.exe)

12:32:20 Me IP-BLOCK 91.197.130.247 (Type: outgoing, Port: 54646, Process: firefox.exe)

14:02:28 Me IP-BLOCK 188.40.84.202 (Type: outgoing, Port: 58067, Process: firefox.exe)

Not sure if that'll make any sense but is this just Malware blocking infected sites or is there a virus still in my laptop trying to contact other servers or such. Makes no sense but not sure how else to describe it. I've run various scans with all my virus software, Sophos, Spybot and Malware, but my laptop seems clean. Have I missed something?

Apologies again if this is the wrong place and thank you

Guest spc3rd

Hi Zoya & welcome to the Malwarebytes Forums!

Have you tried running a full scan with Malwarebytes yet? Doing so should tell you whether or not you have a malware infection.

Hello and :welcome:

Are you surfing the web with firefox as these blocks are happening? It could be a Firefox addon that you have installed that is causing these blocks. You could try and disable your addons and see if that helps. Otherwise you could have the experts take a look to make sure all of the infection is gone.

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

[*]Option 1

Hi both and thanks for the quick replies.

I've done full scans using Malwarebytes, Sophos and Spybot and after the second go nothing seemed to be showing up. I am using Firefox so I'll try tomorrow just using IE (or maybe download something else, not sure I can live with using IE *grin*) and see how things go.

Thanks for the help!

Quick update. I installed Chrome and used it this morning. Because my usual websites don't seem to be affected by this blocking (though some occasionally get the pop-up saying a potentially malicious website has been blocked, yet I'm still allowed to access it?), I went back to one of the searches that brought up the pop-up before.

It did the same as with firefox so I switched back to firefox. Now I haven't done much research/searching today so I've been relatively free of the pop-up warning, but I'm just curious as to what it signifies. Is it stopping me accessing a 'dangerous' website or is it pointing towards a virus already installed on my laptop? Usually I'd just automatically think the latter, but because it says 'outgoing' that's thrown me a little. My laptop has been acting normally otherwise, no sign of a virus still installed.