MBAM crashes during definition update

I have a Windows 7 64-bit Media Centre PC, with MBAM running, with protection enabled. I have it set to update every hour, on the hour. Several times, overnight, MBAM has crashed, and the time seems to coincide with an attempted update. After this, I can not run any programs, no TV programs record, and I can't reboot, without pressing the reset button.

The crash reported is the following:-

Faulting application name: mbamservice.exe, version: 1.51.0.28, time stamp: 0x4dcac365

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x55cccccc

Faulting process id: 0xf04

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc2850b5e08712

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 12d62955-94a0-11e0-8f1a-001d601a917c

I am also running Microsoft Security Essentials and SuperAntiSpyware.

Any thoughts?

Mike.

Hello Mike Turner:

• Download and run the latest official mbam-clean.exe file from here.
  • mbam-clean will ask to restart the computer, please allow it to do so - very important!
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable the AntiVirus application and install the latest stable version of MBAM from the official mirror here.
  • Note: If using the PRO version, you will need to re-register MBAM using the product ID and Key sent via email.
  • Launch MBAM and, if applicable, re-register and customize protection. Then go to the Update tab, if not done during installation, and Check for Updates.
  • Restart the computer again and, if using the PRO version, verify that the MBAM icon is in the Windows' Task Tray.
  • Enter any file exclusion(s) as may be required for the installed 3rd party AntiVirus/Internet Security/Personal Firewall applications and now restart the AntiVirus/Internet Security applications. Use the guides posted in our FAQ's here or ask and we will explain how to do it.
  • Delete the previously downloaded mbam-clean.exe file as updated versions could be released at any time.

Please reply to this topic using the Add-Reply.png with your results. Thank you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that hasn't cured the problem. It has just happened again.

Faulting application name: mbamservice.exe, version: 1.51.0.28, time stamp: 0x4dcac365

Faulting module name: mbamnet.dll, version: 1.51.0.45, time stamp: 0x4ddbacf9

Fault offset: 0x0001af7d

Faulting process id: 0x2e4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc2abe14269537

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamnet.dll

Report Id: 091e57c3-9f2b-11e0-9f08-001d601a917c

Mike.

Hello MikeTurner,

Please replicate this crash (keep the crash prompt open and do not close it). Then Create a Full Crash Dump using Sysinternals Process Explorer:

• Please download Sysinternals Process Explorer from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      1. Right-click on ProcExp.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click ProcExp.exe to run it.

[*]Once it starts, find mbam.exe in the process list and right-click on it and hover your mouse over Create Dump and select Create Full Dump...

[*]Save the mbam.dmp file to your desktop and close Process Explorer

[*]Right-click on the mbam.dmp file you just created and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Attach the ZIP file you just created to your next reply if it is small enough. If it isn't then please upload it to RapidShare

Thank you.

Hello Mainard.

I would like to help you to solve this problem, but I'm afraid that I can't follow your instructions.

The main problem is that I don't get a crash prompt.

The first symptom that I get is that programs won't start or TV recordings won't start or terminate properly (it is a Media Centre PC). The only thing that I can do is to press the reset button on the PC case. I only know that it involves MBAM is because I look in the Event Log.

If there are any other things that I can do to help, please let me know.

Mike.

Hello MikeTurner,

Can you please attach one of the protection logs showing this crash (or the date of the log that experienced the crash) in your next reply.

These logs are typically located:

Win7/Vista

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Win XP

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Thank you.

Hello Mike Turner,

As you can see:

20:00:54 Mike Turner MESSAGE IP Protection stopped
20:00:56 Mike Turner MESSAGE Database updated successfully
20:00:56 Mike Turner MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

Your IP protection is stopped, 2 seconds later your database updates properly then restarts IP protection.

On restart your Protection log should have these kinds of values.

14:38:29 Mike Turner MESSAGE Protection started successfully
14:38:33 Mike Turner MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

That is MBAM starting up it's services either on system start-up or manually be the user.

Attached is a copy of my protection log for yesterday. Each MESSAGE is similar to exactly what you are experiencing. IP protection must stop for the database to update and then be loaded again for IP protection.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you very much! :)

protection-log-2011-06-29Copy.txt

Hello Mike Turner,

What prompt are you receiving that says MBAMService has crashed?

Are you using software that can block/turn off running services?

Let's get an OTL log:

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

• Get OTL From
HERE
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change the following settings
Change Drivers to All
Change Standard Registry to All
Under File Scans, change File age to 30
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you.

Hello Mike Turner,

Please input the location below within your explorer:

%SystemRoot%\Minidump

Please zip up, then attach the most recent dump file Microsoft created for the crash.

Thank you.

Hello Mike Turner,

Any application that crashes, Windows automatically creates a log for the error.

Do you have a report on the crash that you can upload for me to send to the developers. Are there any protection logs within your MBAM log folder that show MBAMService has failed/crashed.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. :)

• 4 weeks later...

This problem hasn't gone away. It happened again yesterday. I have also noticed other posts reporting similar symptoms.

Faulting application name: mbamservice.exe, version: 1.51.1.0, time stamp: 0x4e0f0e18

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Fault offset: 0x107043fa

Faulting process id: 0x708

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc50645b20457c

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: e143d61b-bdd8-11e0-bd66-001d601a917c

Mike.

Thank you for getting back to me.

Here is the protection log for the most recent occurrence:-

00:00:18 Mike Turner MESSAGE Scheduled update executed successfully

00:01:03 Mike Turner MESSAGE IP Protection stopped

00:01:05 Mike Turner MESSAGE Database updated successfully

00:01:05 Mike Turner MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

16:18:49 Mike Turner MESSAGE Protection started successfully

16:18:53 Mike Turner MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

17:00:15 Mike Turner MESSAGE Scheduled update executed successfully

17:00:55 Mike Turner MESSAGE IP Protection stopped

17:00:57 Mike Turner MESSAGE Database updated successfully

17:00:57 Mike Turner MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

19:00:15 Mike Turner MESSAGE Scheduled update executed successfully

19:00:54 Mike Turner MESSAGE IP Protection stopped

19:00:55 Mike Turner MESSAGE Database updated successfully

19:00:56 Mike Turner MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

Mbamservice.exe crashed at 15:00:02, and I rebooted at 16:15.

After I get the crash, (which is only very occasional), I can't start or stop any programs, or even reboot. The only thing that I can do is to force a restart by pressing the reset button on the PC case. Everything will then run well for a week, month, or more.

I have two PCs, both of which are running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP 1, with MBAM, SAS and Microsoft Security Essentials. I have only had the problem on one of the PCs, which happens to be my Media Centre PC.

Mike.