How to ensure McAfee Security Suite and MBAM Pro can run together?

Guest spc3rd

Guest spc3rd

Good morning everyone,

Where might I find the procedure for setting exclusions, permissions, etc for ensuring that MBAM Pro can run concurrently with McAfee Security Suite (provided by my ISP free) without problems arising? (I presently use the free version of MBAM as I've seen a number of postings [on McAfee & other sites] which advise against running the two together because of the real-time scanning issue).

Thank you for your time and any information!

Hello again, spc3rd:

I do know there have been some compatibility issues between the most recent McAfee products and MBAM.

I haven't run McAfee for > 1 year, and there aren't any scripted "Exclusion Instructions" yet, as far as I know.

But, please take a look at this thread.

I am pretty sure that everything you need to know about setting up McAfee to run with MBAM is in there.

One of the MBAM folks and/or member who use McAfee may have additional advice.

Let us know how it goes,

daledoc1

Guest spc3rd

For daledoc1:

Thanks very much for the info! It will take me some time to digest all the information shown in the link you provided, as I've never attempted those things before. Two reasons I'm considering acquiring the MBAM Pro version are I've had 4 occasions since January of this year where I've managed to pick up malware (fake anti-malware alerts, mostly), and also because I've signed up to be a volunteer SiteAdvisor reviewer for the McAfee Community Forums. Visiting unrated websites obviously poses the significant risk of acquiring malware and other undesirable things).

For Conor55:

Fancy meeting you here! I appreciate your reply as well! I may have to check in the Navigation => About area to see if I can ascertain just what specific McAfee software my ISP is providing. All that's shown on the Security Center homepage is Cox Security Suite, powered by McAfee.

V11 of Security Center is what you want.

It should allow you to add exclusions to the new version of McAfee.

However, Cox may not have brought out the new version of McAfee yet, but the new version came out about a week ago.

:)

@spc3rd

Unless they're attempting to force you to use it then you might want to remove it and go with a Full Pro version of McAfee, Kaspersky, ESET/NOD32, or Symantec/Norton AV

If you're going to visit dangerous sites on purpose then I highly suggest you look into setting up a virtual operating system.

I highly recommend VMware Workstation but it's not free so many chose not to use it.

From the creator of PC virtualization comes the most reliable, secure way to run multiple operating systems at the same time. Winner of more than 50 industry awards, VMware Workstation transforms the way technical professionals develop, test, demo, and deploy software. VMware Workstation is an integral component of any serious technical professional
Guest spc3rd

Good morning, Ron,

Thank you very much for the additional info. I've heard Sandboxie mentioned before, but not the other two. With regard to my ISP-provided McAfee AV software...they don't require me to use it; I only do so because of budget constraints. The only other advice I have received regarding being a volunteer SiteAdvisor reviewer was to reset my Internet security level to high, increase privacy level to high, and a couple of other things pertaining to Java and Javascript.

I've discovered, however, that increasing the security and privacy levels tend to cause a website's page either not to display in its entirety or display at all. I will look into the programs you recommended.

Thanks very much again for your recommendations!

Archived