Suggestion and Question

flamewalker

1st, suggestion... For the updates, you could probably save some bandwidth if you were to implement a method of updates where you don't have to download the entire installer every time for the new version, just updated files...

And second, I have questions as to what the MBAM real time protection actually does. What does it detect, and does it scan files/registry as they are edited/written? (I haven't actually experienced an attack with the real time protection on yet). What about the ever infamous IE exploits? What about an infected flash drive that tries to auto run a virus installer file?

Thanks,

flamewalker

PC Technician

1st, suggestion... For the updates, you could probably save some bandwidth if you were to implement a method of updates where you don't have to download the entire installer every time for the new version, just updated files...

Marcin has been planning a system like that for a while. I would believe he still plans on putting it into version 2.

And second, I have questions as to what the MBAM real time protection actually does. What does it detect, and does it scan files/registry as they are edited/written? (I haven't actually experienced an attack with the real time protection on yet). What about the ever infamous IE exploits? What about an infected flash drive that tries to auto run a virus installer file?

I'm not as big an expert on the real-time protection, especially since they redesigned it, but I do know that it just monitors for the installation of malware. It does not scan all processes and such (for the sake of performance), but instead devotes all of it's resources to trying to prevent the stuff from installing in the first place. It does a good job at preventing the installation, but obviously it's still a good idea to run weekly malware scans.

I have questions as to what the MBAM real time protection actually does. What does it detect, and does it scan files/registry as they are edited/written? (I haven't actually experienced an attack with the real time protection on yet). What about the ever infamous IE exploits? What about an infected flash drive that tries to auto run a virus installer file?

I asked the same question and this is how Marcin explained it to me.

This was in August and may have changed since then.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...ost&p=24648