Anti-Virus 2009 Virus Will Windows Repair help?

Rae

One of our computer got infected with Anti Virus 2009. I believe my husband may have accidentally installed it. We have tried the following: Removed it from add/remove programs, checked the entire registry for anything with such name or similiar name, deleted a crsss.exe file but it keeps coming back. We ran Cyber Cop and it deleted some items and quaranteed others which i then deleted.

I had to download a special script that I have to run once in a while because I occassionally get message that I don't have permission to edit registry. I run that script and I can again get into the registry.

We downloaded malwarebytes and got it to install but it will not open and run. Neither will Spy bot.

Nothing has helped. This bugger will not be deleted! We can go on some internet sites but none that have any type of support. For example we can go to Symantec products page but not the main symantec.com page. We can't go to bleepingcomputer page, etc.

Also, all the graphic files now appear as red x's. All the graphic files in mcAfee also have disappeared. I can still run McAfee but it isn't helping. It quaranteed some files but that's about it.

What can I do? What should I look for in registry? Will a windows Repair help? (I'm on a different computer now)

Rae

Please download combofix from This Webpage...and read through the instructions there for running the tool.

***Important Note***

Please read through the guidance on that web page carefully and thoroughly...and install the Recovery Console. Using this tool without the Recovery Console installed is NOT RECOMMENDED.

If you have Windows Vista, you can skip the recovery console step...in Vista it's in the System Recovery Options menu. The System Recovery Options menu is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If Windows doesn't start correctly, you can use these tools to repair startup problems.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot into a special recovery (repair) mode that is not otherwise available. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It's a simple procedure that will only take a few moments.

Once installed, a blue screen prompt should appear that reads as follows:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

When you see that screen, please continue as follows:

• Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
  • Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please post back the following on your next reply:

C:\ComboFix.txt

New HijackThis log.

Please download combofix from This Webpage...and read through the instructions there for running the tool.

***Important Note***

Please read through the guidance on that web page carefully and thoroughly...and install the Recovery Console. Using this tool without the Recovery Console installed is NOT RECOMMENDED.

If you have Windows Vista, you can skip the recovery console step...in Vista it's in the System Recovery Options menu. The System Recovery Options menu is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If Windows doesn't start correctly, you can use these tools to repair startup problems.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot into a special recovery (repair) mode that is not otherwise available. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It's a simple procedure that will only take a few moments.

Once installed, a blue screen prompt should appear that reads as follows:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

When you see that screen, please continue as follows:

• Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

• Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please post back the following on your next reply:

C:\ComboFix.txt

New HijackThis log.

So after doing all this, it doesn't fix anything - it just makes a report? It sounds like maybe the easiest thing to do is reformat the hard drive after all. I appreciate the help but how certain is it that after I do this, and post a report, than you can fix it?

Rae

So after doing all this, it doesn't fix anything - it just makes a report? It sounds like maybe the easiest thing to do is reformat the hard drive after all. I appreciate the help but how certain is it that after I do this, and post a report, than you can fix it?

There is nothing certain except that your system is not performing the way you should expect...please post the requested log so we can continue with the analysis. Thanks!

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.