Question about Security

IT Expert

I have a question. Would it be a good idea to only run the paid edition of malwarebytes on a system or combined it with like AVG Internet Security. I have always been a firm believer in only run 1 security program on the system do to the risk of conflicts, false positives, system degrating in preformance just to name a few.

What do you all think?

You definately need at least an anti-virus along with MBAM (I usually recommend Avira if going for a freebie, or Kaspersky or NOD32 if paying), as MBAM is not an anti-virus, but is designed to detect the threats that most anti-virus programs miss. An internet security suite isn't a bad idea either, as it gives you a software firewall which is always a good layer of protection to have.

I have a question. Would it be a good idea to only run the paid edition of malwarebytes on a system or combined it with like AVG Internet Security. I have always been a firm believer in only run 1 security program on the system do to the risk of conflicts, false positives, system degrating in preformance just to name a few.

What do you all think?

It's very important to understand the job of each security program you run. MBAM does not look for viruses, nor is it able to handle them as far as disinfection from the host is concerned. We always recommend a good antivirus scanner along with MBAM for the utmost possible security.

AVG, Avast, Antivir have all been tested and work well with MBAM in free or registered mode. Personal suggested setup:

Avast (or Antivir) as they are prone to fewer issues than AVG.

Registered MBAM, with scheduled updates and automated scan scheduled.

I also tend to have a few other malware scanners for on demand use only. Including:

BugHunter, SAS (Superantispyware) And a few specific tools.

Avast (or Antivir) as they are prone to fewer issues than AVG.

Registered MBAM, with scheduled updates and automated scan scheduled.

I also tend to have a few other malware scanners for on demand use only. Including:

BugHunter, SAS (Superantispyware) And a few specific tools.

I like to add Spybot Search & Destroy to that list simply for it's immunize features. While MBAM does a great job protecting you, Spybot will add an extra layer of protection (just don't install TeaTimer).

You definately need at least an anti-virus along with MBAM (I usually recommend Avira if going for a freebie, or Kaspersky or NOD32 if paying), as MBAM is not an anti-virus, but is designed to detect the threats that most anti-virus programs miss. An internet security suite isn't a bad idea either, as it gives you a software firewall which is always a good layer of protection to have.

Agreed . I use MalwareBytes + Norton Antivirus 2009 .

And it's a great security solution.

Hi IT Expert .

It is important to state what kind of system you are running when asking for advice . Either Home , Business , Win 98 , XP , Vista , Server.

As Raid said :

" ...It's very important to understand the job of each security program you run. MBAM does not look for viruses, nor is it able to handle them as far as disinfection from the host is concerned. We always recommend a good antivirus scanner along with MBAM for the utmost possible security."

Personally I like Avast! home edition along with MBAM , and as it hasn't as yet been mentioned MVPs HOST File , but not along with Spybot S&D immunisation as you may run into some problems .

The landscape changes also . If asked this 6 months ago AVGAS (AVG AntiSpyware - formerly known as Ewido) would certainly have been mentioned as an on demand scanner , but AVG dropped the product so a good Anti Spyware at the moment would be SUPERAntiSpyware as a on demand AS .

Each System is specifically configured even though they are rated as Win XP SP3 , or Vista Ultimate . The use of third party software ( Non Microsoft) which is arguably essential , does affect your overall system when compared to others so getting a good idea of what works best for you is half the battle :)

Personally I run Kaspersky Internet Security , it suits my needs :)