MalwareBytes Database 1507 freezes during scan

Dennis9900

I've been running your fine product for many months on my Dell GX270 / XP Pro Sp3 / ZoneAlarm ISS with no problems.

Earlier today (16-Dec-2008) I started a routine full NTBackup. It crashed on:

C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase

In disbelief, I rebooted and attempted to run NTBackup again, with the same results.

Thinking I perhaps had a malware problem I downloaded the latest update (Database version 1507) and started a Full Scan. After running for perhaps 20 minutes, MalwareBytes stopped responding on the same item:

C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase

There was data in the Application Event Log that isn't very informative to me:

Hanging application mbam.exe, version 1.31.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

That's certainly no coincidence. I searched the forum here but have not found a clue. The only recent changes here since last backup on 11-Dec-2008 were the 6 Microsoft updates/patches. No hardware changes, no new software.

Has anyone seen this besides me, or have a hint on where to start? System Volume Information is a Hidden/System folder I cannot access.

Thanks for any advice.

Dennis

Has anyone seen this besides me, or have a hint on where to start? System Volume Information is a Hidden/System folder I cannot access.

That is system restore . We do know of a problem like this on rare systems and if you can head here so we can take a look for a solution :

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8095

Keep in mind that our quick scan has 100% of the ability to catch malware that can enter memory and about 99% of total malware including traces so a full scan never needs to be run unless you actually have a quick scan hit something and even then all you will get are a few extra traces .

That is system restore . We do know of a problem like this on rare systems and if you can head here so we can take a look for a solution :

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8095

Keep in mind that our quick scan has 100% of the ability to catch malware that can enter memory and about 99% of total malware including traces so a full scan never needs to be run unless you actually have a quick scan hit something and even then all you will get are a few extra traces .

Thanks for the tip on using quick scan most of the time! I've already done some testing per your suggestion and will post results there.

Thank you,

Dennis