MBAM flags txt file - VirusTotal disagrees

whatmeworry?

Today I ran my daily MBAM Quick Scan on my new desktop computer, and as usual there were no problems. Out of idle curiosity, I then ran a Full Scan. To my surprise, it reported a Trojan.Agent in the file c:\Windows\Installer\{4e6f956d-b021-41f4-affb-8ee07d21038d}\icon07da9d2a.txt. I found this strange for several reasons--I just about NEVER have malware, my computer is only two weeks old, the file MBAM flagged was a .txt file, and I had run a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials yesterday and it found nothing. I nonetheless quarantined the file and ran another full scan, which came up clean. Several hours later, I updated MBAM from database 6577 to 6579, restored the file from quarantine, and ran another full scan. Again MBAM flagged the file. I then uploaded the file to VirusTotal. Only one of the 43 anti-virus programs found a problem: eSafe said it was Win32.Warezov.gen, but the other 42 found no problem.

In preparation for sending this message, I tried to have MBAM produce a developer's log. A year or so ago I did manage to get MBAM to make such a log, but the last two times I've tried to get it to do so, all it produced was a log indistinguishable from the full scan log it produced earlier today.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether MBAM has reported a false positive, or whether MBAM is right and almost every other program is wrong.

Thank you. This false positive shall be fixed in the next update.

By the way, it's not a text file. It's an executable with a txt extension.

Thanks very much for your prompt response. I'm happy to know that MBAM's warning is a false positive.

I wondered about the .txt extension, and I suspected that maybe the file was some kind of malware masking itself as a harmless text file. I can always find something to worry about. :rolleyes: