Spyware Guard smarter then me

My son's dell pc is infected with spyware guard 2008. I'd tried to download Malwarebytes but it kept jumping me to fake sites. So I downloaded it on my pc and used a jump drive to get on his. If I open his pc in safe mode it won't let me run the Malwarebytes off of the E drive. If I open his pc in regular mode, I click on the Malwarebytes in the E drive, get a short hourglass, then it eventually locks up. Any help would be appreciated. I did also try system restore and last good configuration but had no luck with that either.

Well first he will have to download HiJack This.

Download it on an alt computer and transfer it via flash drive. I had a tricky virus recently that spontaneously shutdown the browser when searching for MBAM, Combofix, Norton, Symantec, Kaspersky, NOD32 .. the list goes on .. and HiJack This.

And remember to scan the flash drive when this is sorted out.

Please follow these instructions for posting in our Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs forum, and one of our malware removal experts will be happy to give you a hand.

the first thing the instructions say were to run spybot. I can get to spybot but the malware evidently won't let it open. I get a brief hour glass then then nothing... crafty bugger this spyware guard 2008.

the first thing the instructions say were to run spybot. I can get to spybot but the malware evidently won't let it open. I get a brief hour glass then then nothing... crafty bugger this spyware guard 2008.

Spybot doesn't run when Windows is booted in Safe Mode?

Anyway, you might be able to trick whatever trojan is suppressing MBAM by renaming it.

Go to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ and rename mbam.exe to something completely random (if the .exe is on the end, then make sure to leave it on when you rename it, such as mbam.exe -> adfe2c.exe).

rename_mbam.png