Windows won't boot - believe it is Malware/Virus related

Hi all,

New here. What a great resource. Hope someone might be able to help me. I picked up something nasty while browsing photos on the web for a video project. My Spybot alerted me to a registry change which I denied but whatever it was kept trying to make the change. I ran Malwarebytes which found infections however when I told it to clean the infections it just exited automatically and didn't successfully clean it. I ran spydoctor which also found infections. When I told it to clean them, Spyware Doctor Hung and I couldn't get out of the program.

In frustration, I hit the reboot button on my machine intending to enter safe mode. However now Windows will not boot properly. It shows the Windows Logo with the blue moving bar (I am running XP with SP3) but then goes to a black screen with just the mouse visible and moveable. However the Windows chime does not sound. I cannot boot into safe mode either (none of the other options such as Last Known Good Configuration) work. All lead to the same place, the black screen with the mouse (and the words Safe Mode in the corners in Safe Mode).

I tried the recovery console but it claims it cannot find my hard drives. This could be because they are in a SATA Raid. I have been dealing with this all day and am at my wits end. Can anyone help and suggest where to do from here?

Thanks

Ray

OK well let me update this. Whatever happened I have messed up my boot record. I was finally able to get into the recovery console . Chkdsk /r said the volume had several unrecoverable problems so I ran FixMBR which went OK but then tried FixBoot which did not work. I can't even get a DIR listing of the contents of the C: drive.

At this point my priority is shifting to saving some data on the hard drive as the boot record appears to be toast. I am thinking my best bet may be to get a new hard drive with a fresh windows install and then connect these drives to it, save what I can and then completely reformat them. Any advice?

Ray