XP Home security removal problem

Hi all.

I'm new here so please be gentle.

I am running Windows XP and all of a sudden I had a window display saying I had no firewall and then the PC shut itself down. When I restarted it it went to my desktop but only showed the background and showed no icons or start menu etc.

I can start task manager. I started a new task and ran "firefox.exe" and then the XP Home security warnign came up and ran a scan telling me I need their software to remove the infections. Straight away I knew there was something wrong as I never installed this virus software so I did a Google search and then nearly cred when I saw the issues people were having.

Someone mentioned putting in a serial number and it will then let you run as normal, then simply run your real anti virus software and remove everything.

Well, my problem is I still do not have and icons or a start menu and all of the solutions I have seen involve clicking on the start menu. I can still get task manager to open but not sure what I can do from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Please reboot to Safe Mode With Networking(tap the F8 key just before Windows starts to load and select the Safe Mode With Networking option from the menu).

Please update MBAM, run a Quick Scan, and post its log.

Next, download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post only DDS.txt directly into your reply.