Infected file did not display

Just got Malwarebytes today on suggestion of folks at AVG free forum. No problems downloading and installing. And it seemed to scan OK too. During and at the end of the scan it said "1 infected file" in red. But when I clicked on Display nothing appeared. No file displayed.

I clicked on "save log file" anyway and when I tried to save it to the Malwarebytes file folder in Program Files, Windows shut it down and briefly displayed a message about protecting memory and having to close. I really don't know what happened and it was so fast I could not write down what the error was. Maybe I tried to save it to the wrong place or maybe it was because there was nothing in the log file. Duh.

Has anyone else experienced either of these two things? 1) Scan says it found an infected file but did not display it.

2) Windows shut down Malwarebytes when you used "save log file.

• Root Admin

Hello mpw101 and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Have not seen that behavior myself. It could potentially be Malware that did cause it. I would suggest following the procedure below to ensure your system is clean.

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

Good News! I posted prematurely. Tried the Quick Scan and it was enough to find the one infected file in ten minutes instead of two hours. Hooray! Also the file displayed and the log file was saved the the infected file went to quarentine and was deleted and I guess everything worked.

Here is the file that was removed:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{3aa42713-5c1e-48e2-b432-d8bf420dd31d} (Rogue.Antivirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Have no idea what happened the first time, but it seems to have worked this time.

Thanks for your offer of help. I'm sure I'll need it one of these days. I hope this is not one of those that keeps coming back.