"The current database is not supported by this version...

MBAM has always worked flawlessly for me until today, Sat April 30. Opening the program and attempting to update resulted in the above error message. After that the program would not open. I had recently ran an aggressive "junk files cleaner."

After reading http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=82427 I uninstalled MBAM, ran the MBAM Cleaner, and re-installed the program, skipping any updates. The program ran flawlessly, although the database was 106 days old. I opened the update tab, started the update, and near the end of the progress bar the above error incurred again.

I then moved the rules.ref file, and ran the rules.ref installer found in the aforementioned forum topic. This gave me a database that is 9 days old, version 6408, which ran flawlessly. Allowing a quick scan to complete appears to have fixed my problem, as updates now return a "you have the latest version of the database" message.

Moral of the story? Be mindful of the "junk" files you delete from your system.

Thank you for your time and your excellent product.

Hello SuperDave!

What OS are you currently on?

Please Delete your rules.ref file.

The file is located depending on OS:

• Windows XP

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Windows Vista/Windows 7

• C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then Run MBAM.exe. Please let me know the result.

Thank you very much!

• 4 weeks later...

I did what Mainard said delete the rules.ref, IT DOES NOT WORK. IT GIVES ME THE SAME message to tell me download the latest version..

I uninstall everything download the latest version and reinstall it. It still give me the same message

Tan Lam

Hello Tanmlam,

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Thank you!