ACalcutt

Trojan.FakeAlert

A program I created for our campus faculty computers is being flagged as Trojan.FakeAlert. The purpose of the script is to prompt a policy reminder when a users plugs in a usb thumbdrive (or equivilent).

The program is based off the code here: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42580

The program is attached. autoit source code is included

OK , the file itself is not being detected but because it is being stored in root it is under far greater heuristics . A lot of malware runs from root so that location lets you get away with a lot less in MBAM .

I an whitelist this for you but in the future staying away from root would be a good idea , even C:\apps\ would bypass this .

BTW and on the subject of flash drives , you can bypass flash drive malware by formatting to them to NTFS , setting up an autorun file and then crippling that file's permissions . I don't know if this is what you are trying to do but with all the malware going around that can jump to flash its not a bad idea .

Ok, moving the file into a folder wouldn't be a problem if that is the only reason. Thanks

Also, on your other comment, the program just gives a message box with a reminder of our policy when a usb drive is plugged into the computer. (see the image below)

Thanks for your help

-Andrew

post-6372-1229021166_thumb.jpg

post-6372-1229021166_thumb.jpg

Thanks again, that did work. I'm glad this was caught before it was distributed to all faculty though SMS :-)

BTW and on the subject of flash drives , you can bypass flash drive malware by formatting to them to NTFS , setting up an autorun file and then crippling that file's permissions . I don't know if this is what you are trying to do but with all the malware going around that can jump to flash its not a bad idea .

We do have an FAQ on this (sans the permissions and autorun) subject here: Format USB Thumbdrive to NTFS