What are you listening to?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen the old spaghetti Westerns but never a Symphony playing these songs            

Posted Images

Santana

Not sure if you were referring to my link to "Europa" on the hukulele, which has Santana in the title but no Carlos in the video ? Santana wrote Europa, and Brittni Paiva covered it. Great arrangement and sound, in my humble opinion. Great melody from Santana. Here's another classic (oh yeah...) played by Brittni Paiva, alongside the master... and don't mind the first 80 seconds, it gets better quality wise :

• 3 weeks later...

From your neighborhood Bonaholic - 2 versions of a JB classic:

This version is from the 2013 London tour -- wait for the solo at ~7 minutes:

And -- different, but equally awesome -- this is another version from the 2009 London concert (at about 32:43 minutes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=46OGKhngdMY

Cannot wait to see him live later this year!!!!

Well, at the risk of gilding the lily, here are 2 more live shows:

This is the other half of the 2009 London Royal Albert Hall performance (overall probably my favorite performance):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0wuTnjwUk0

And this one showcases his enormous repertoire, with guests Beth Hart, John Hiatt and Paul Rodgers (a VERY close 2nd):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duBkUREYP-o

While I do love his studio work (new solo album is due out later this year), his live concerts are positively mesmerizing.

The guy has been playing professionally since age 12, when he opened for BB King.

Awesome band, too!

Signed,

The MBAM Bonaholic

The resident Bonaholic is steadily convincing me that I should make an effort to see a show.

I regretfully didn't see JW back in the day. Work came/comes first. :-)

I know what you mean -- sometimes life gets in the way of....................quality of life. :(

Yes, JW -- another of the true classics.  He had that "gift" - I guess he still has it.

(Speaking of "classics", Eric Clapton (age 70!!!) recently announced he is retiring from touring.  Bummer.  I suppose that means no more Crossroads?)

OK, so here's another positively electrifying, live JB performance (from a few years ago, with a different band, but still awesome):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBGzkvpec0

And, for those of you think he's a "flash in the pan", watch this -- JB was better at age 5 than most adults will ever be:

Since I'm too old to have his children, I'll have to make do with being a groupie. :lol:

The MBAM Bonaholic

@David -- Is the moon one of your shots ?  Nice catch either way.   :)

Since I'm too old to have his children, I'll have to make do with being a groupie. :lol:

The MBAM Bonaholic

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean -- sometimes life gets in the way of....................quality of life. :(

I do budget some time to 'veg', to rest, to be entertained. During my infrequent (for the most part) visits to this forum I've gained great pleasure from watching people work and learning from them. Hope they don't start charging me.. :)

My view -- Doing your best at working, whatever the work may be, is the most important cause of self-esteem. Those who truly can't work can produce a similar sense of efficacy via intellectual pursuits or other rational interests. The effect -- a positive quality of life.

These guys came out with a bang with their debut, The Inner Mounting Flame. The first cut was/is smokin hot. The guitarist, John McLaughlin, is adept at electric and acoustic. One of the all time greats.

Original line-up, virtuosos all:

- John McLaughlin / guitar
- Jerry Goodman / violin
- Jan Hammer / piano, electric piano and organ
- Rick Laird / bass
- Billy Cobham / drums (<< His debut, solo album, Spectrum, is an island album for me.)

Unfortunately, not great quality on this vid but it does get a bit better as you go along.  It's the best I could find that shows John soloing similarly to the studio album. Cobham does his usual thing!

@David -- Is the moon one of your shots ?  Nice catch either way.   :)

Indeed it is.  And in honour of the Lunar Perigee another of the moon but in this one the moon is rising over the Atlantic's Jersey Shore.

post-14644-0-05887300-1405185816_thumb.j

Perigee trumps apogee any day.

Not the Apogee used in Colorado and Washington State.

Nice!  You've got texture, light, a sense of movement @ the water, color..

Flor d'luna..

I love the Santana follow-up...  Awesome.!