What are you listening to?

goldhound

• 2 weeks later...

It's not friday yet, but I have a classic. Well, it's a cover of a classic. Some songs are almost impossible to replicate and this one fits into that category.

I almost fell out of my chair.  For those who weren't born, the song was recorded in 1973 and was on Dark Side of the Moon.

This Brazilian singer is impressive :

Oh... almost perfect ;)

I mean, Clare Torry created magic back on that Sunday afternoon at Abbey Road studios. An amazing vocal performance. The courts later agreed with Clare that she had also participated in its creation and deserved her share. I agree 100%.

This young Brazilian singer has an almost identical tone, throughout the amazing range and passages. For me, no one can beat Clare's warm raspy sound in the quieter moments, but that's just me :-)

Agreed.

I get very critical with pieces like this one. I have heard all the covers of this song YT has to offer and this one, for me, is the closest to the original that I've heard. Bianca Antoinette did the song justice with the group Australian Pink Floyd a few years ago, and then a Polish singer by the name of Ola Bieńkowska gave a slightly more acrobatic but less felt rendition with the cover band Brit Floyd. These two delivered in a way all the guest singers for the real band couldn't over the years, for me anyway. The song is a monster.

For fans and the curious, listen to this Clare Torry interview. Remember, she was just hired for a few hours, for this song only :

I haven't watched the last few cycles of X-Factor (I can no longer stand Simon...). This girl is good and oh... easy on the eyes too. She missed the big high note in the song "Alone" and that may have cost her big. I remember Carrie Underwood nailing the same song back when she did American Idol ; there is always a risk associated with trying on BIG songs like that.

I do watch The Voice though, and I just love the two girls going to the finals next week :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKGmDwlY36U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ZMttopIQg

• Root Admin

Jacquie Lee sounds good and I like how parts of her voice roll but not a power singer like some (I enjoy a strong voice - some don't)
Tessanne Chin good overall but I don't see her winning - they're looking for that voice that blows you away.

Presentation also makes a big difference.   Ellona Santiago does not have as good a voice as Tessanne to me but she has a much better stage presence I think.

The family watches The Voice but I'm usually working when its on and I don't care much for the show myself the way its run.