What are you listening to?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen the old spaghetti Westerns but never a Symphony playing these songs            

Posted Images

• Root Admin

Some topics have been removed as they are inappropriate content for the forum. Please do not share videos or songs that are either vulgar in content or disrespectful in nature to others. In general please try to keep it somewhat family friendly - would you really want your grand kids listening to some of this stuff ?

Thank you

Toto is one of my all-time favorite bands. I really like some of their older stuff (prior to the famous Toto IV album). They sure rock Live.

Wow!

I had not known about them before.

They sure do ROCK IT live!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks ;)

When you know about great music like this, you have to share it :D

Toto is one of those special rock bands that are music driven, made up of pure musicians with classical and jazz backgrounds. Many of them have played and recorded for other famous bands/artists.

In one of their shows in Paris, Steve Lukather (guitarist and band leader) asked that all musicians in the crowd raise their hand and a majority of people did lol. He then jokingly said they (the band) would have to play really well considering.

The original drummer, Jeff Porcaro, was a legend in his field and died way too young at 38 (in 1992). The guy you see on drums in the video above is Simon Phillips, also a legend.

I suggest you listen to the entire Amsterdam 25th anniversary show, to get a sense of just how good they are. I also suggest the "Falling in between Live" performance in Paris - 2007. For that show, their regular bassist had to leave because of illness in the family and Toto were lucky enough to get Leland Sklar (long white beard) and they also had Greg Phillinganes on keyboards, while David Paich was on semi-retirement. Fantastic lineup. Here's a teaser :

Toto fans !!!!!! :D :D

;) that reminds me Grand Theft Auto : SA...

spywar : of course Hold the line is still my favorite Toto song even though I played the 45 - single- sooo many times I wore the vinyl down. The one you linked to is a cover, but a very decent one I must say. I'll just let you watch the real deal Live ;) :

Note : singer extraordinaire Bobby Kimball was 60 years old in 2007. Voice in top form, high notes still very much a part of his arsenal.

Toto are still touring in 2013, but Kimball is not there (conflicts with Lukather apparently) and Mike Porcaro (bass) is too ill to tour. The actual lineup, sans Kimball, is less than impressive sadly...

For the nostalgic, here's the original studio version of Hold the Line :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mkmUdUYgH0

============================

Speaking of covers... will you all let me live after showing you this one ? Well Ok, not a cover per se because The band is there, but Freddy isn't...

Nobody can ever replace Freddy of course, but for me Adam can sing his songs with the boys anytime, anywhere.

81cJxlI.pngToto81cJxlI.png

NOW I get it!

After watching a few of those other videos, I remembered who they were/are.

The music rang a bell <pun intended>, but I didn't have the name of the band.

(I was a largely out-of-pocket for most of the 80s and 90s, so I might have missed some details of popular culture.)

• Root Admin

Yes, I guess that is a tempo change DD. Interesting choice. Have not heard her before. Has a certain roll in the voice that I do like but still different.

In samples of similar songs I like the vocal and acoustics of the one by Emmylou Harris and her band over the one by Neko Case and her band. I suppose though that both singers have their share of fans.

Neko Case - Wayfaring Stranger

Emmylou Harris - Wayfaring Stranger

Pat Metheny....America's greatest gift to my life since Makers Mark. A beautiful piece embracing the most searingly emotional guitar break (5.40) I ever heard. If anyone knows a musician that can make a guitar sing like this I'd certainly like to know.

Pat Metheny....America's greatest gift to my life since Makers Mark. A beautiful piece embracing the most searingly emotional guitar break (5.40) I ever heard. If anyone knows a musician that can make a guitar sing like this I'd certainly like to know.

Dang!

That was AWESOME!

Thanks for sharing that piece, BornSlippy!

@BornSlippy : I hadn't listened to Pat Metheny in a while. Thank you for that !

I'm a BIG fan of guitarists of all genres, so I started looking up my favorites to find pieces that sing. Lots and lots, tough to choose...

Oh... found this. Enjoy :-) :

I have like 50 more in queue, but let's take it slow ;)