What are you listening to?

goldhound

Honestly, it'll probably bore you.  ( albeit, the whole move is available on YouTube )

I suggest to listen to the song below.

NOTEAlice's Restaurant is by Arlo Guthrie who is the son of one of the most famous US folk singers, Woodie Guthrie.  Best known for the American anthem "This land is Your Land".    The famous US folk singer Pete Seeger often played with Woodie and has a cameo in Arlo's film.

Here in New England, it has been a long running staple for radio stations to play Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving.

Most old stoners like this song.  There are many that will keep you awake past your bedtime if you will allow it.

There is even a restaurant here (in the stony woods) called Alice's Restaurant.  It sticks to the tradition.  Neil Young lives close by.

Edited by gonzo
Its Friday and that's enough

• 2 weeks later...

238271454_pigonthewing.gif.288accda7a6cc5129166bbeeb5e1954b.gif

Edited by David H. Lipman

7 hours ago, gonzo said:

Here is a very welcome contradiction.  Thanks to a coworker with a Japanese wife and Japanese cultural influences...

Hahaha... love this. On another forum, a member shared something similar so here goes. Maybe your co-worker knows about them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

Edited by Mark

I listened to the Babymetal.  The music at times was promising, and at other times calculated.  The girls were...well...a gimmick.  I looked at the Youtube suggested links after that one and saw one that I need to share.  I bought this one to encourage them and to get a FLAC copy of one that I thought was amazing, considering the participants  Hope you like it.

Once I get started listening, its hard to stop.  I have played guitar for half a century, and one day if I am lucky, I'll do it well.  I have always loved blues.  This one (Stevie Ray) is one of my later deity discoveries.  They gotta be damn good for me to call them a God.  This song proves in my mind that he discovered a musical place that had never been known before.  Here it is:

Edited by gonzo
beer causes that

Albert King had no tolerance for any man who he thought was mimicking his style, until he heard Stevie Ray Vaughan.  Here is one of Albert's best, and one that was hard to come down from when experiencing it live.  Thank you Albert!

If you like this, and you like SRV, look for the IN SESSION show where they played together.  The master and the student, with ultimate respect going both directions.  I almost cried!

Edited by gonzo
because I can!

Almost back to where I started, with Stevie Ray.  This may be the ultimate blues guitarist song, and it was captured for all to see and hear later.  No single man could possibly be that good, so if I could just play that guitar once, could I be maybe half as good?  A story, a fantasy, a dream....who knows!  Enjoy.

You MUST watch the last two minutes of the song.  You will not believe what you see.

P.S. One more to go, then I'll shut up ... maybe.

Edited by gonzo

My last one, maybe.  Here's some story that you can probably do without.  I was going to college and working at a southside Phoenix liquor store.  It was a real nice place, so we locked the front door at sunset.  Drive-through windows on either side, but one was locked at sunset so you couldn't get broadsided.  All business conducted in one window (thank God).  I was running the show, when the show wasn't running me.  Because the doors were locked, I could turn up the music.  One night, this song came on, and.....screw the customers!  Plywood up, and music louder.  THIS WAS AWESOME!  It was way too short, but I later found it.  It turned out to be a bunch of kids from Ukiah CA (where the weed grows best) who had a blues band, played, split up, and were asked by a Berkeley record producer to come back together just once because their music was too good to be lost forever.  This album was recorded, and two of the four participants (Mark Ford and Robben Ford) went on to become major artists in the music scene (in their own bands and as session musicians).  To me, this is the best they had to offer (bias obviously taken into account), but I hope you like it.

• 2 weeks later...