I cannot install Malwarebytes

When I select the mbam-setup.exe the hourglass appears for about 15 seconds then simply goes away. The program does not install. I tried also installing it in safe mode with the same results.

I am running XP-Pro

The reason for wanting to use Malwarebytes is that when surfing the Internet with google or yahoo my selections are redirected to another page.

Note: when I typed into my browser www.malwarebytes.org I got "page cannot be found". So I downloaded the mbam-setup.exe program to another computer and transferred it to the infected computer.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Greetings kddp08 and welcome to the forum. Please try renaming the setup file, you can just rename it to setup.exe if you'd like, and see if it is then able to install. If it is and it will run, try updating manually from the SecurityWonks.net server as it may not be blocked the same way malwarebytes.org was. If it's blocked or you have any trouble installing/running MBAM, please refer to the instructions here to see if it solves it: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...amp;#entry35969 Either way, after you get MBAM running it would be a good idea to go ahead and read the instructions here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 and post your logs in a new topic here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal/scanning tools exept those that you are instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult. I hope I was helpful. Good luck and safe surfing.

I had the same problem installing and changing the name worked to install. But when I tried to run the program nothing happened. Can't even get to this website on the infected computer or run the Panda scan program. I was able to run Hijack this from a flash drive and one of the lines read:

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent

Do you think this could be the reason malwarebytes is not running.

• Root Admin

Unlikely, that is left over from the install it's trying to do but is probably being blocked by Malware already.

Please read and follow the instructions provided here as best you can: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

• 7 months later...

i have the same problem as MannyG when install it Visual C++ Runtime Error appear but you know that i have scanned with SASpro,KasperskyOnlinescan,trend micro online scan,AvastPro boot scan,SpywareDoctor free, i forget what other also read the microsoft site for that problem install Visual c++ 2005 2008 and version 6 and still the same problem what blocks mbam.exe to run i cannot find Hijackthis shows nothing also Everest shows nothing also AUtoruns 9.51 ,ProcessExplorer, devmgmt.msc nothing , what can i do how to detect if its ***ware ?

Edited by AdvancedSetup
altered inappropriate language

Hello and welcome k1gpnet!

Just do the same thing:

Please read and follow the instructions provided here as best you can: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

stop talking the same thing i have read this 1 million times i CAN NOT START DA PROGRAM BECAUSE VISUAL C++ RUNTIME ERROR HAS APPEAR DONT YOU READ WHAT I AM WROTE when you dont know how to fix the problem please dont post useless things NO SAFE MODE NO SCAN IT CAN NOT BE DETECTED i am now with AVAST PRO + stupid Windows Defender i forget THREAT FIRE shows all DLLS now see what VIRUS TOTAL can do

stop talking the same thing i have read this 1 million times i CAN NOT START DA PROGRAM BECAUSE VISUAL C++ RUNTIME ERROR HAS APPEAR DONT YOU READ WHAT I AM WROTE when you dont know how to fix the problem please dont post useless things NO SAFE MODE NO SCAN IT CAN NOT BE DETECTED i am now with AVAST PRO + stupid Windows Defender i forget THREAT FIRE shows all DLLS now see what VIRUS TOTAL can do

It's not necessarily to post log from MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware. There will be using different tools to remove malware.

Take it easy...

see what yardbird post how many people have this problem auto updating from 1.38 to 1.39 and it crashes

If you don't post your thread/topic here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19299

you will have a longer wait for the fix! good luck..

the above forum was made after you left or were browsing other topics....

please go to the link above.. regards

• Staff
see what yardbird post how many people have this problem auto updating from 1.38 to 1.39 and it crashes
kddp08, please join the thread as suggested by yardbird and send SwanDog a PM to get the debugging tool.

We don't need people running all over the boards in different threads about this, just stick to the one please. That way everyone can find a solution in one place.