Non-administrator accounts

Hello Forum,

Is it best to scan on Micro$oft Window$ with MBAM from:

- an administrator account booted in normal mode?

- a non-administrator account booted in normal mode?

- an administrator account booted in safe mode?

- a non-administrator account booted in safe mode?

I currently scan in non-administrator booted in normal mode. This is my standard web-browsing account.

Don't know if this thread overlaps with this topic (http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8137).

Apologies if this stupid newbie question has already been asked or is obvious for other people. :D

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

Peter

• Staff

Greetings Peter and welcome. The best way to use MBAM is to run a quick scan logged in as an administrator in normal mode. This makes sure that any infections that load drivers etc will actually be loaded while MBAM is scanning increasing the likelyhood that they will be detected and removed, and having administrative access will allow MBAM to have full administrative permissions to make changes to the registry, delete malicious drivers and files in system folders and allow MBAM to load it's own drivers that it uses to detect and remove difficult threats. I hope I've adequately answered your question, and if you have any others please let us know. Good luck and safe surfing.

Hi Exile360,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Is it also necessary to use MBAM's protection module in an administrator account?

Or is the module just as effective in a non-administrator account?

The question stems from the fact that I am logged in under a non-administrator account 99% of the time. This is to make it harder for malware to install itself.

Thanks again!

Peter

• Staff

I would leave it on for both, especially since you do your web surfing in the non admin account as there are still many trojans and malicious scripts that can be embedded in web pages that don't require administrative permissions to infect your PC. And of course, make sure you are running a good antivirus program with protection on as well. If you need anything else let me know.

PS: since you use your limited account to browse the web, be sure to run a quick scan on that account at least once a week as well because even if MBAM doesn't have the permissions it might need to remove it, at least you'll know what the infection is and where it is so that you can remove it manually if needed.

Hi,

Thanks very much again for the ongoing advice.

- MBAM protection module is left on for both admin and non-admin accounts

- Avast Pro is used as anti-virus software

- A quick MBAM scan in the non-admin account is done around once a week

I shall now change point number three to your advice and run the scan once a week in admin mode.

Micro$oft Window$ is such an annoying operating system with admin and non-admin mode. If it were more secure, there wouldn't be a need to constantly relog off and on to switch between the two.

MBAM is a fantastic program and the annoyance lies in Window$ design rather than in the brilliant program that is MBAM!

Thanks again and have a great week!

Peter

• Staff

Your annoyance is exactly why MS changed the default behaviour of admin user accounts in Vista including User Account Control and Internet Explorer running in what is known as Protected Mode. If you check Microsoft's website there's a lot of great info about it. As you can see from my signature, I'm running Vista myself and I love it. I haven't used XP on my computer in over a year.

Hi Exile,

Thanks again for the ongoing support.

I really don't like Micro$oft products and am only running them because they came installed on the computer. Also I don't have the finances to invest in Vista.

When (and not if!) Window$ packs up on my system, I have decided to then install Linux.

My only fear is encountering difficulty in installing drivers for the various devices. Or getting them working properly. I only have a basic computer with a mouse, sound card, modem, network cable connection and printer port. Nothing special.

I do have a lot of knowledge from the good old DOS days, however I'm not sure if this is compatible with Linux.

That's great that Vista is functioning on your system and that you are enjoying running it. I shall have to actually sit down with a Vista PC one day just to test it out.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Pete

PS: Your valuable comments and advice are always much appreciated :)

• Staff

I hear Ubuntu is a great Linux distro to start with and as far as drivers go, since it's open source there are many users who write drivers for a vast array of harware. They have great user forums (much like this one) where they'll help you out with getting things up and running. Plus many manufacturers make drivers for Linux on their own since it's becoming much more common.