Suggestions for MBAM'S GUI

FatCat0623

Hi to the MBAM Team!

I've already used MalwareBytes' AntiMalware for like half a year, and are always a fan of this security solution. However, i find it to be slightly too general in terms that its GUI are not of the best. I don't have a problem with the software itself, but then i hope that the team can prioritize on better GUI design for the next major release. After all, an attractive GUI is also one great way to build a positive image towards the product... :)

Here's my sugestion:

If it's possible, can the team redesign a red-and-dark brown colored interface and polish the tabs which separate the product's features (the tab with the scan, update, logs and stuffs...)? BTW, it would be very interesting if the interface is skinnable, you know, change between different sorts of skins.

Another thing which bugs me is the old-fashioned looking icon of MalwareBytes... :) Here's my idea of a more attractive icon: A round icon depicting a sun, with a white 'M' drawn across just like how the current icon is.

post-5890-1228323936_thumb.png

I don't mean to pressure the MBAM team, but then i really hope that MBAM can come up with a really decent GUI.

Keep up the excellent work!!! :)

post-5890-1228323936_thumb.png

• Root Admin

Well here is the interesting part of GUI development. I can build the GUI to suit your needs perfectly (i.e. use the colors, and features you mentioned). The minute I release that GUI an angry mob of hundreds of people tell me they do not like it. So I design it to match the specifications they want, release it, and another angry mob runs toward me.

The fact is, it will never suit everyone's appetite. With the GUI currently in place, I have had very little complaints.

I realized the problem. Still i do hope that MBAM had its shortcut icon refurbished at least. It's no secret that i'm a huge GUI fan and so i can't really get myself to enjoy the looks of MBAM's old-fashioned icon.

About the main GUI, like i said, maybe the team can apply a skinnable interface to cater different users. Other security software such as SpyEmergency and Ad-Aware do provide users the skinnable GUI option. I don't think it's fair on MBAM's reputation when the software tops all antimalware software but it's GUI spoiled the party :)

It's only a general suggestion though. I'm not in the GUI-designing area so i had little idea of how difficult it was to design a GUI that matches all user's appetite. Still, i hope that for the next release the GUI that was released could "wow" me LOL :)

Everything's up to the MBAM team; whatever it is, i'm always supporting the team's decision!

Hi FatCat0623, I like the MBAM icon just fine myself.

It's anything but old-fashioned compared to what other software company's are using.

If the GUI was skinnable, I wouldn't change it because I like the simple but effective approach.

Just my two cents.

Wow...seems like everyone is satisfied of the current GUI!

Well, like i said, i just hope for something better. There's not much that i'll ask for after all that right stuff MBAM has contributed to my lappie; even if it's just a minor polish-up of the current GUI and icon. After all, i'm also using SUPERAntispyware free along with MBAM and like MBAM, the GUI is simple and straightforward which i also hope they will polish up in the future.

That's the problem of being a GUI fan lol! You can live with a simple GUI, but it still kinda bugs you... :)

• Staff

Well, like i said, i just hope for something better. There's not much that i'll ask for after all that right stuff MBAM has contributed to my lappie; even if it's just a minor polish-up of the current GUI and icon. After all, i'm also using SUPERAntispyware free along with MBAM and like MBAM, the GUI is simple and straightforward which i also hope they will polish up in the future.

That's the problem of being a GUI fan lol! You can live with a simple GUI, but it still kinda bugs you... :)

A pretty GUI is nice (one of the many reasons I love Vista) and to be honest, some of the nicest GUI's I've seen for security apps belonged to rogues. I always thought it was funny that the authors of such software had so much time, knowhow and energy to put into making a fake app look good, but didn't go through the trouble of creating a legitimate program. Seems obvious by it's effectiveness where most of the efforts go into developing MBAM. It does it's job and it does it well.

A pretty GUI is nice (one of the many reasons I love Vista) and to be honest, some of the nicest GUI's I've seen for security apps belonged to rogues. I always thought it was funny that the authors of such software had so much time, knowhow and energy to put into making a fake app look good, but didn't go through the trouble of creating a legitimate program. Seems obvious by it's effectiveness where most of the efforts go into developing MBAM. It does it's job and it does it well.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :)

Quite frankly it was the interface of MBAM that drew my attention in the first place - simple, intuitive and effective. I was getting sick of programs with interface like a Las Vegas street - bright and shiny buttons everywhere, animated icons/objects and all kinds of crap, so I basically melted at the sight of MBAM's interface. Of course that's me. Other people might find this interface a bit boring but if that's the price for effective malware detection and removal (since time is a limited resource and has to be distributed among each aspect of the program's development) then I would gladly pay it time and again.

Quite frankly it was the interface of MBAM that drew my attention in the first place - simple, intuitive and effective. I was getting sick of programs with interface like a Las Vegas street - bright and shiny buttons everywhere, animated icons/objects and all kinds of crap, so I basically melted at the sight of MBAM's interface.

I know lots of security software with that kind of "Las Vegas" GUI, the most recent being Systweak's Advanced System Protector...their looks are very cool, all right, but then IMO, none have yet come to match MBAM in terms of detection-&-removal effectiveness. If MBAM are to have a new sleek interface coupled with its current excellence, i'd like to imagine what the other security vendors would become.

Have the forum ever discussed anything about the GUI before? I wonder what opinion the others have....

Like I already said time is a limited resource, and keeping up with all the new malware requires quite some time, so it might not be enough to concentrate on the interface that much. It's about priorities I guess. Other anti-malware vendors obviously prefer to invest their time in the interface and looks of their products instead of the performance and efficiency. You can't have it all.

So...judging from the MBAM team's current effort on malware detection & removal areas, are there anymore possibility that the team will dedicate some time for the GUI? After all, despite my pestering about polishing up MBAM's GUI a bit, i DO find it simple, effective and organized so it doesn't matter much on how i am going to use it if the GUI remains the same or if it does get polished up. :D

It's straight forward. Easy to use, easy to explain how to use over the phone, over the cb, what ever. Nothing too complicated for dear Granny. :D

Other than simply stating something better, What did you really have in mind? We're always interested in suggestions, but please understand your suggestions aren't necessarily going to be in a specific release build. MBAM is updated to deal with threats presented by malware first and foremost.

What exactly bugs you about the GUI presently in use? And can you be as specific as possible.

Other than simply stating something better, What did you really have in mind? We're always interested in suggestions, but please understand your suggestions aren't necessarily going to be in a specific release build. MBAM is updated to deal with threats presented by malware first and foremost.

What exactly bugs you about the GUI presently in use? And can you be as specific as possible.

I want to clarify that those previous comments of mine weren't exactly a negative comment about the current GUI. IMO, i just think that perhaps the team could polish it up a little, like make it looks slicker and more brighter/positive.

There's nothing wrong about the current GUI; just that i do hope it can be made a bit better. Maybe it's just me, but from my point of view, the GUI seemed slightly old-fashioned when used together with Vista. Part of the interface was like a Windows 2000 skin (forgive me if it's too un-complimentary or sounding harsh). I'm not asking for an MBAM GUI with a really sparkling/dazzling interface; An improvement over the current would be enough.

I'm not requesting the team to do an entire redesign of the current GUI (i know that the team are focusing their time on the more important aspects), I just hope for a much more "Vista-complimentary" skin over the current one. It doesn't matter whether my hopes are being taken into account straightaway because like i said in my previous comments, i can still live with it and use it happily. It was a mere suggestion to improve MBAM because i'm a big fan of MBAM over the past 1/2 years and if i comment anything on the software, it was just to make it better... :D

Another thing which bugs me is the old-fashioned looking icon of MalwareBytes... :D Here's my idea of a more attractive icon: A round icon depicting a sun, with a white 'M' drawn across just like how the current icon is.

If the icon bugs you so much, why not make your own icon and change it to your preference yourself? Pretty simple to do, really...

If the icon bugs you so much, why not make your own icon and change it to your preference yourself? Pretty simple to do, really...

I do make icons for docks, but then i have no idea; will the MBAM team allow the change of their software icons without permission?, btw, if it was a choice between choosing a new icon and a slicker interface, it will be the later that i'm more interested towards.

So yeah...the icon bugs me slightly (not "so much" btw... :) ), but it would never be as much as the interface, and i CAN live with it, no problem.

• Staff

I'm sure as long as you're only doing it to the copy on YOUR machine, then there should be no problem with it, just keep in mind of course that if you use a tool like reshacker etc to do it (which you would pretty much have to except for the shortcuts to the program) that the devs won't support it if it causes problems.

The fact is, it will never suit everyone's appetite. With the GUI currently in place, I have had very little complaints.

Except mine - that you currently do not save the GUI's window settings when it is exited. :angry: GUI still only knows one size and position on startup in ver 1.31

Al