Malware damaged internet connection, how to repair?

Hi,

I have finally managed to clean (I think) the Windows Emergency System Trojan from my PC using both Malwarebytes and Trojan Hunter for good measure. However, despite being able to access the internet for a short time while fixing it by changing the malware .exe file name, it has stopped connecting and I have been unable to restore the connection since.

I am sure it's not the router as I am using it fine wirelessly on my Mac laptop and the other (very old and excrutiatingly slow) PC. The PC that was infected is Windows Vista and I was using Avast Free Virus protection which I will upgrade once this is fixed. The Trojan was on the computer from Friday 18th and the PC was on all that day, it was off over the weekend and on all day yesterday until evening when I managed to finally clean all the files.

It would be great if you could help me fix this, I am suspicious of all repair software ads now as most seem to be a scam. Let me know what other info you need....

Best wishes,

Hannah

:welcome:

Can you download these tools to a USB device and transfer and run them from the infected pc?

Please don't attach the scan results, use Copy/Paste

DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.

Vista and Windows 7 users:

1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them

2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")

Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

Note: Close all browsers before running ATF Cleaner: IE, FireFox, etc.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Download - ATF Cleaner

Hi,

Thanks. I'm able to move things about with a USB.

Below is my DDS.txt log. I tried to post the Attach.txt too but it was too long. I have attached it as a zip file.

Cheers!

DDS (Ver_11-03-05.01) - NTFSx86

Run by LILZ MC at 16:26:51.36 on 22/03/2011

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.19019 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_21

Microsoft

Attach.txt.zip

1.Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.

2.Next, open Add/Remove Programs and remove if listed:

GridinSoft Trojan Killer

Badware

BadwareProtector

Delete this File if listed:

c:\users\lilzmc~1\appdata\roaming\microsoft\Badware.exe.exe

Restart and see if the internet works.

Thanks, I think we're getting there...

There was no GridinSoft or Badware programmes to uninstall (add/remove programmes) but I deleted badware.exe from the C:.

It now recognises the network with wireless printer, PDF converter, Public, Users, and Printers folders which it didn't before, but it is still saying it can't find any network connections. It gives me the following message when I click on "Diagnose why windows can't find any networks."

"This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured." The PC is connected to the router with an ethernet cable.

Hannah

check some settings on your system:

1. Enter your Control Panel and double-click on Network Connections
  2. Then right click on your Default Connection
    • Usually Local Area Connection for Cable and DSL, or AOL Connection.

[*]Right click on Properties

[*]Double-Click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item

[*]Select the radio dial that says Obtain DNS Servers Automatically

[*]Press OK twice to get out of the properties screen

Go to Start->Run->Type CMD and click Ok. The MSDOS Window will be displayed. At the command prompt, type the following and press Enter after each line:

IPCONFIG /release

IPCONFIG /renew

Type Exit

Restart the computer.

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!