McAfee VSE 8.8 and Full version of Malwarebytes - Error

Affected OS: Windows 7 Professional

Malwarebytes - Full version

McAfee Enterprise VirusScan 8.8 (not managed by EPO 4.0 - yet)

McAfee Agent 4.5

User had Full version of Malwarebytes and VS Enterprise 8.7 with Agent 4.0 installed. Ran upgrade to VSE 8.8 and upgraded agent to 4.5.

VSE 8.8 installs very slowly when Malwarebytes full version is installed. It runs much quicker when the free version of Malwarebytes is installed or Malwarebytes is not installed at all. After installation completes of VSE 8.8 the scanner is run on VSE 8.8 it runs for about 4 minutes (varies each time) then says scan cancels with 0 files scanned. Scan task is set up correctly. Then MCSHIELD service and framework service is disabled. Access Protection, Buffer Overflow protection and On Access Scanner all disable and will not re-enable until user manually restarts McAfee services from services.msc. VSE 8.7 works without a problem, but it also does not have the anti-spyware module that 8.8 integrated into this release.

I ran the command line scanner with the latest DAT file from McAfee and found no virus/spyware activity.

When I uninstall Malwarebytes, VSE 8.8 scanning works fine and completes. Are there any settings in Malwarebytes that would be strong-arming McAfee VirusScan 8.8 into disabling services and features when the on-access scan is started? Our users would like to use both programs like they did with past version of McAfee.

This sounds like a corporation due to the use of McAfee Enterprise VirusScan 8.8 (not managed by EPO 4.0 - yet) therefore please follow the instructions below.....

As a licensed corporate user, technician, reseller, affiliate or non-profit user you have access to the corporate helpdesk, contact them via the email address below.

corporate-support@malwarebytes.org

They will assist you in this matter. Please provide your corporate license information when requesting help.

Please add the domains malwarebytes.org and salesforce.com to any spam filters or junk mail exclusion features in your email client to assure our replies get to you. Thank you

• Staff

Affected OS: Windows 7 Professional

Malwarebytes - Full version

McAfee Enterprise VirusScan 8.8 (not managed by EPO 4.0 - yet)

McAfee Agent 4.5

User had Full version of Malwarebytes and VS Enterprise 8.7 with Agent 4.0 installed. Ran upgrade to VSE 8.8 and upgraded agent to 4.5.

VSE 8.8 installs very slowly when Malwarebytes full version is installed. It runs much quicker when the free version of Malwarebytes is installed or Malwarebytes is not installed at all. After installation completes of VSE 8.8 the scanner is run on VSE 8.8 it runs for about 4 minutes (varies each time) then says scan cancels with 0 files scanned. Scan task is set up correctly. Then MCSHIELD service and framework service is disabled. Access Protection, Buffer Overflow protection and On Access Scanner all disable and will not re-enable until user manually restarts McAfee services from services.msc. VSE 8.7 works without a problem, but it also does not have the anti-spyware module that 8.8 integrated into this release.

I ran the command line scanner with the latest DAT file from McAfee and found no virus/spyware activity.

When I uninstall Malwarebytes, VSE 8.8 scanning works fine and completes. Are there any settings in Malwarebytes that would be strong-arming McAfee VirusScan 8.8 into disabling services and features when the on-access scan is started? Our users would like to use both programs like they did with past version of McAfee.

As a licensed reseller, affiliate, corporate, non-profit or government user or tech shop, your current inquiry is eligible for Malwarebytes

:welcome:

There's a known problem with McAfee VSE and Malwarebytes'. See below on how to fix this. :)

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&view=findpost&p=162098

Thanks, I've already looked into this solution and it is not McAfee that is blocking MalwareBytes. Somthing in MalwareBytes is shutting McAfee down when the on acess scanner engages. I'm looking for options to shut off/exclude in MalwareBytes.

This sounds like a corporation due to the use of McAfee Enterprise VirusScan 8.8 (not managed by EPO 4.0 - yet) therefore please follow the instructions below.....

As a licensed corporate user, technician, reseller, affiliate or non-profit user you have access to the corporate helpdesk, contact them via the email address below.

corporate-support@malwarebytes.org

They will assist you in this matter. Please provide your corporate license information when requesting help.

Please add the domains malwarebytes.org and salesforce.com to any spam filters or junk mail exclusion features in your email client to assure our replies get to you. Thank you

We are not a corporate user of MalwareBytes so I can't use the corporate helpdesk. We are a corporate user of McAfee and until version 8.8, they did not offer spyware protection with the VirusScan module. Some users paid out of pocket for full MalwareBytes protection in addition to the virus protect that McAfee provided. Now that version 8.8 offers the spyware module at no additional cost, users that had bought full individual licences for MalwareBytes are showing this problem of VSE 8.8 being disabled when On Access Scanner engages. When I remove MalwareBytes the problem goes away.

I have no problem telling them that they can't use MalwareBytes and McAfee. I was just curious if there were any settings that I missed that would allow me add exclusions in MalwareBytes like I can in McAfee to allow both programs to co-exist for the few users that this is affecting.

We are not a corporate user of MalwareBytes so I can't use the corporate helpdesk. We are a corporate user of McAfee and until version 8.8, they did not offer spyware protection with the VirusScan module.

You are not allowed to use the retail version (home edition) of Malwarebytes in a corporate environment, this is a violation of the EULA, as you use McAfee and have a corporate version of it, I can see you are using this in a company or corporation. You need to get corporate licenses for Malwarebytes and then seek help for the corporate helpdesk....

You are not allowed to use the retail version (home edition) of Malwarebytes in a corporate environment, this is a violation of the EULA, as you use McAfee and have a corporate version of it, I can see you are using this in a company or corporation. You need to get corporate licenses for Malwarebytes and then seek help for the corporate helpdesk....

Individuals are using it. Not the corporation. I will advise them to remove MalwareBytes.

• 5 months later...

Go ahead and waste your money on it. It won't work. The full version of Malwarebytes disables McAfee. If you can't cut the cord with Malwarebytes then just get the free version as that does work with McAfee without disabling it. There is a problem between the two programs and you will have to decide whether you want McAfee or full Malwarebytes, NOT BOTH.

McAfee 8.8 has a better malware/spyware engine than Malwarebytes and is the better choice between the two as it provides virus protection and spyware protection and is very easy on system resources. We have tested McAfee 8.8 on every OS between Window's XP and Server 2008 and it works great.

Don't expect a glowing response from someone from Malwarebytes. All they harp about is the EULA. Personal machines are not Univeristy owned, and there is nothing in our agreement with McAfee that Enterprise versions of their software can't be installed on users home machines that they use to remote into campus to work.

I would just stick with the provided McAfee because it is free. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction then remove it and buy Malwarebytes. But they will not work together.

• Root Admin

@ocheeslice

Let me see if I can clarify the issue.

Unless McAfee took steps on purpose with version 8.8 to prevent it from honoring exclusions then it will work with our product. We have many customers running it with version 8.7 and it is unlikely that McAfee purposefully prevented their latest version from honoring exclusions.

Yes a consumer/home user can use the free version anytime they like on their personally owned computer or they can purchase the Pro version to augment their Anti-Virus solution. However you are representing them as a business. If you're trying to say that your company owns the computer but you have no say so in what or how they are configured or managed then that too would be very unlikely. I've done IT Support for many companies and even with one of the larger networks in the US and none of them allow the user to install what they want to and leave security management up to the user. Granted your company may not have a license for corporate use of our product and that is okay but it is not okay to try to say that you're simply trying to help your users that have installed it because if they do not personally own the computer then they cannot install and use our product on the system either as it is owned by a business. As a business you would need to obtain a yearly renewable corporate license to install and use the product.

The Students can install and use but you as a representative cannot because that then is using the University as a resource just like a business. The Student that owns the license can and should contact us and we'll work with them to correct any issues.

@amberlight

Hello amberlight, your situation is different and quite common. In most Universities the school does not own the laptop or desktop used by the student. In that case you're very welcome to use the free version or if you like you can purchase a lifetime licensed Pro version to install on your own personally owned computer. If you do purchase the pro version and need assistance setting up the exclusions then you can contact support and they will work with to get it setup and working properly.

Thank you and I hope this clears up any misunderstandings about usage of the product.

This is a university setting and no, it does not work with 8.8 anymore.

People from the university, whether student, professor, faculty or staff can remote into work from their personal machines from home and we allow them as an option to install 8.8 on their personal machines. So yes, the situation has come up where personal machines that the university does not own can be running enterprise 8.8 and the users have the choice to install any other software that they want. Like I stated above, when both are installed Malwarebytes disables core features of McAfee. I have advised our users to not use your product as it is not compatible with McAfee 8.8 and if they choose to use it then they can't install McAfee 8.8 and will have to stick with 8.7 until it is End of Life. Then they will have to pay for a different Antivirus or drop Malwarebytes if they want to continue using the AV solution provided by the university. It is not McAfee disabling MalwareBytes, rather the other way around, so I highly doubt that they took any steps to change exclusions. It is your product that is overpowering McAfee and disabling it.

The university should NOT have to buy a corporate licence as we are not providing Malwarebytes to our end users. I am only trying to help end users that are complaining to me that they can't use both products.

I consider this a closed issue and do not recommend your product to anyone in our network.

• Root Admin

The university should NOT have to buy a corporate licence as we are not providing Malwarebytes to our end users. I am only trying to help end users that are complaining to me that they can't use both products.

Thanks ocheeslice and I agree the University does not need to purchase a corporate license. The only issue here is when you are trying to help them with the product it then appears as though you or the University are installing or providing the students with our product. If you are not installing it for the student and are not providing a local download of the product and as you say are only trying to assist those students that have gone out on their own and purchased the pro version then there should not be any issue. When you or someone else from the University is either installing it or making it available to the students that is when it is no longer a personal use as the school or a representative of the school installed it or made it available which does then require corporate licensing.

I will have our QA department verify and confirm what has changed in McAfee Enterprise 8.8 and if in fact it can no longer be setup to work with our product and get back to this posting. It may take a little while though as the McAfee Enterprise version is not an available download version for consumers to obtain so we'll need to review either with current customers or see how we can obtain a version without having to purchase it simply for testing unless you can provide me a link from McAfee (you can send via PM if you like) on where this version can be obtained.

Thank you again.

The only reason I became involved in helping this individual was that it was assingned to me by a support ticket for McAfee being disabled and the requester was not a student so I couldn't tell them 'sorry, that's outside the range of our support'. In my investigation into why McAfee was disabled I noted that they were also using Malwarebytes Pro which prompted my first post to this thread which was torn up by your EULA nazi malwarebyte fan club.

I had requested corporate licensing information in the past when we were still using McAfee 8.7 to help address the spyware problem our population just couldn't help to avoid. My two requests were ignored. You are the first person that acutally appears to represent this company that has responded to me in any way. We are no longer interested in this information.

When McAfee 8.8 came out with a spyware filter module built in we decided to drop any pursuit of supplimental programs to help with malware. But the University hase NEVER endorsed your product, installed your product on University owned machines, nor provided links to your program. However, it appears that many home users seem to believe that your product was a wise investment and had no problems with McAfee 8.7, hence no trouble tickets. When our users have trouble with a program that we do support and distribute, it is our policy not to pass the buck and say it's not our fault it doesn't work - it is this other program causing the trouble. We make an effort to investigate and try to come up with a solution to make disgruntled party happy, even if that means going an extra step in finding a solution to make the non working supported program work again. All of my previous experiences with your company from the non communication from your corporate licencing and the hostile 'help' forum colors my current tone with you and it is not positive.

Like I've stated before, we have decided to stick with McAfee only and are telling our users that it is your program that is causing the problem and if they wish to use the free antivirus solution provided by the University on their home machines, then they can't use your product. If they choose to use your product then they will have to purchase their own antivirus solution that will pass campus manager and allow them onto our domain.

• Root Admin

Unless McAfee took steps on purpose with version 8.8 to prevent it from honoring exclusions then it will work with our product. We have many customers running it with version 8.7 and it is unlikely that McAfee purposefully prevented their latest version from honoring exclusions.

Well it turns out that McAfee didn't take steps on purpose per say but it is a known documented bug with McAfee Enterprise v8.8

Currenlty the latest version of McAfee Enterprise has a known bug that does not allow programs to be excluded from their Access Protection module.

It is expected to be fixed in patch 2 but not sure when that is coming out as patch 1 is still in beta from my understanding.

Unable to add exclusions to the Access Protection rule

Applications using scripts can fail when VSE 8.8 ScriptScan component is disabled

VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 Known Issues

McAfee forum discussion of one of the problems

VSE 8.8 Event ID 1202 filtering issue

VirusScan Enterprise Release Notes and Known Issues (Master List)

So at this time is is possible for us to setup MBAM with McAfee Enterprise v8.8 to stop any freezing but because of the bug in McAfee it cannot add or honor the Access Protection exclusions as I originally said might be an issue, in which case that basically prevents our product from doing any type of registry or file modifications because McAfee Access Protection will always block our program until they get that bug fixed.

On various computers and configurations the McAfee Access Protection module blocked our program as expected by not honoring or allowing the exclusions to be set.

• 4 months later...
  • Root Admin

This specific issue is with McAfee VSE not honoring their settings fully. Please setup the exclusions as recommended in the FAQ of the General Forum and if you're still experiencing issues then it is quite likely still due to an issue with McAfee VSE.

Also make sure you have the very latest update from McAfee to see if perhaps they've since corrected it or not.

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

For what it's worth, I've only seen issues between VSE 8.8 and Malwarebytes Pro in Windows XP - the two seem to coexist OK in Windows 7 - but in any event, in XP the way I was able to fix this was to disable Access Protection via the VSE 8.8 console. Maybe not an ideal solution, but it seemed to solve the problem. Hope this help!

-DS