Latest database version?

I'm running Windows XP with Symantec Antivirus Corporate version 8.1.0.825.

I am not getting connection errors when I try to update MBAM, but the most recent date is 1/18/2011 (database version 5550). It keeps telling me I have the latest database version when I update, but I have a feeling that MBAM issues updates more often than once every 2 months.

Is this actually the latest version or is something preventing me from updating?

Hi willard3, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

It sounds like the metadata in the program has gotten out of sync for some reason.

Please uninstall and re-install MBAM using the mbam-clean tool as outlined here. See Issue 7. You stated that this is a corporate version of Symantec so it's worth noting that you will need to be an admin on the box. If this is a work machine, please seek assistance from your IT dept. They can contact us with their Cleverbridge order reference number for further assistance at corporate-support@malwarebytes.org

Sorry to be late in replying. I had some networking issues keeping me off the forums for a bit.

Glad you got it sorted out and working now.

As one of our other members (ThreeGuser) pointed out to me, this is a very old version of Symantec. I had realized it was old, but had forgotten it was that old. Here's a quote from their site.

Symantec AntiVirus, version 8.x is no longer supported, and was discontinued as of November 30, 2005. Virus Definitions are no longer tested against discontinued products, and compatibility issues (such as these) may occur. In addition, older, unsupported versions of Symantec AntiVirus may not be able to protect your computer or environment against newer threats. As these threats are discovered, and designs are implemented to protect against them, they are included in the most current version of our products.

I would strongly urge you to remove and replace that with something newer. If you have trouble getting it uninstalled, Symantec has manual uninstallation steps here.

How to manually uninstall Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.x Client on Windows NT/2000/XP