Malicious Website Blocking

alamarco

Suggestion: Currently the malicious website blocking works purely on an IP block. My suggestion is to make the block more comprehensive and use domain names as another criteria for malicious website blocking.

Reasoning: With the nature of the web, not all websites are hosted on separate IP's. Thus legitimate websites are being blocked if they're hosted on the same IP as malicious websites. To access this legitimate website one has to add the IP to the ignore list. This creates a problem in that one is now leaving oneself open to the malicious website.

Example: Nyaatorrents.org is a legitimate website. After doing research I learned that other sites are hosted with the same IP that are not so clean. To access Nyaatorrents I must leave myself open to such websites by adding the IP to my exclusion list. To solve this I could add an exclusion for "nyaatorrents.org" instead of adding an exclusion on the IP only. So instead of relying just on the IP blocking, the malicious website blocking function can first check a list of domain name exclusions, and then check a list of IP exclusions before blocking.

Another suggestion:

Suggestion: Allow users to give a description of IP addresses that are being ignored.

Reasoning: As the list of exceptions get bigger, it becomes harder and harder to remember just what exactly you are ignoring. In most cases you're just left with the option of deleting everything and starting all over again. I think it would be extremely beneficial to know just what exactly are you allowing.

• Staff
Suggestion: Currently the malicious website blocking works purely on an IP block. My suggestion is to make the block more comprehensive and use domain names as another criteria for malicious website blocking.
I believe this is being considered already, but I do not know when or if it will be implemented.
Allow users to give a description of IP addresses that are being ignored.
Thanks, I'll suggest allowing adding a reason for an exclusion being made though I don't know if it's possible or if the developers will want that or not.