AntiMalware GO Virus - Can't get rid of it!

I cannot get rid of this "AntiMalware GO" virus! I have started in safe mode, used a program to kill all unnecessary processes, and ran a full scan with MalwareBytes. It comes back clean, but when you restart and go to the internet, all the pop ups come back and the icon in the system tray is back. It hijacks my internet connection to use a proxy server.

Please help!

Thank you!

Hello Donna! Welcome to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forums!

My name is Borislav and I will be glad to help you solve your problems with malware. Before we begin, please note the following:

• The process of cleaning your system may take some time, so please be patient.
  • Follow my instructions step by step if there is a problem somewhere, stop and tell me.
  • Stay with the topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • If you don't know or can't understand something please ask.
  • Do not install or uninstall any software or hardware, while work on.
  • Keep me informed about any changes.
  • Post all of your log files, don't attach them.

The following steps should be done in regular mode, not in safe mode:

Step 1

Please download and run the following tool to help allow other programs to run. (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com)

There are 4 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.

Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin

You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

1. rkill.exe
  2. rkill.com
  3. rkill.scr
  4. rkill.pif
  5. WiNlOgOn.exe
  6. uSeRiNiT.exe

Please post the log in your next reply.

Note: The log can be found at the root of your installed hard drive entitled rkill.log

Step 2

• Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Go to Update" tab and select Check for Updates.
  • Go to Scanner tab and select Perform Quick Scan, then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

In your next reply, please post the following logs:

1. RKill log
  2. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log

Okay. I had already tried the rkill/malwarebytes method and I still have the virus actively running on this machine. I did the process again to get the logs for you.

Here is the rKill log:

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.

Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.

Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.

Rkill was run on 03/03/2011 at 11:01:59.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

Rkill completed on 03/03/2011 at 11:02:02.

And here is the MalwareBytes Log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5140

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 (Safe Mode)

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

3/3/2011 12:00:02 PM

mbam-log-2011-03-03 (12-00-02).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|P:\|)

Objects scanned: 441741

Time elapsed: 52 minute(s), 13 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\Documents and Settings\roy\My Documents\downloads\WiNlOgOn.exe (Heuristics.Reserved.Word.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

Here is the RKill log:

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.

Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.

Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.

Rkill was run on 03/04/2011 at 9:19:02.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

C:\DOCUME~1\roy\LOCALS~1\Temp\pmejqsnbj\fdemvuthmof.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe

Rkill completed on 03/04/2011 at 9:19:23.

And the MalwareBytes log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5140

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

3/4/2011 11:00:03 AM

mbam-log-2011-03-04 (11-00-03).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|P:\|)

Objects scanned: 444737

Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 39 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

I am going to restart the machine, but I believe it is still infected, esp since MalwareBytes didn't remove anything.

Thanks!

Donna, your Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is very old.

Step 1

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Step 2

• Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Go to Update" tab and select Check for Updates.
  • Go to Scanner tab and select Perform Quick Scan, then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Here is the latest log after uninstalling and reinstalling MalwareBytes. Please let me know if I need to do anything else. The computer seems to be running well.

Thank you!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5989

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

3/8/2011 3:17:17 PM

mbam-log-2011-03-08 (15-17-17).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 325410

Time elapsed: 25 minute(s), 20 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 1

Registry Values Infected: 2

Files Infected: 5

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\mdnkso81qq2 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\scsmerqy (Rogue.Agent) -> Value: scsmerqy -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyServer (PUM.Bad.Proxy) -> Value: ProxyServer -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

c:\documents and settings\roy\local settings\Temp\pmejqsnbj\fdemvuthmof.exe (Rogue.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\RECYCLER\s-1-5-21-2550246205-2837866636-1293037297-1202\Dc6.exe (Rogue.HDDScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\RECYCLER\s-1-5-21-2550246205-2837866636-1293037297-1202\Dc7.dll (Trojan.Crypt) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\documents and settings\roy\local settings\Temp\jar_cache2075986271397097932.tmp (Rogue.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\documents and settings\roy\local settings\Temp\lnumnioxfh.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

**Note: If you need more detailed information, please visit the web page of ComboFix in BleepingComputer. **

Please note that these fixes are not instantaneous. Most infections require more than one round to properly eradicate.

Stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms diminish. Lack of symptoms does not always mean the job is complete.

Kindly follow my instructions and please do no fixing on your own or running of scanners unless requested by me or another helper.

Please download ComboFix from

Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**

1. If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
    • Open Tools -> Options -> Main tab
    • Set to Always ask me where to Save the files.

[*]During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:

CF_download_FF.gif

CF_download_rename.gif

[*]It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.

[*]Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.

[*]Close any open browsers.

[*]Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause unpredictable results.
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

----------------------------------------------------

• Close any open browsers.
  • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
  • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
  • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

• Double click on Combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the C:\Combo-Fix.txt for further review.

**Note: Do not mouseclick combo-fix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!