Computer is slowing down

Wofstar

Hello and thanks for any help ahead of time!

About a week ago now my Laptop got a virus (I posted about it here) but since then my Desktop computer has been slowing down, closing programs, freezing, dropping my net connection, constantly giving me browser errors when surfing the web, disk drive is taking longer to load if it even loads it is hit or miss if it will read a disk, and the computer is now taking between 10-15 mins at least just to start-up. I've ran MB, Clamwin, Avast, Norton and they all say everything is fine, but these problems are getting worse each day. Can anyone please help me out here, and hopefully figure out what is going on with this computer?

DDS (Ver_10-12-12.02) - NTFS_AMD64

Run by AngelsBaby at 13:06:44.41 on Tue 02/22/2011

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.19019 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_22

Microsoft

Attach + Ark.zip

I finally got my computer to reboot by opening the setup menu in the bios and then closing it, I don't get how that made it boot but it did...so I left it on last night until I could see what your advice was, and during the night my windows update started a service pack installation but it is now frozen at "Stage 2 of 3 - 100% complete" what do I do?? If I shut it off manually that will mess my system up wont it?

Currently the only real problems I'm still having is the computer is still booting slow, but faster than it was since your help started. Other than that..so far I've not noticed any other problems. It hasn't frozen, the disk drive has been working properly, and the net is functioning correctly as well as loading quicker. I'm wondering if the start-up is just in the processes that start when windows loads? Like because msn, steam, tom tom, avast, clamwin, norton(disabled but still loads)...and I think there is one or two other programs that load when the windows starts. Could this be the reason it takes so long for that portion of booting-up to finish?

Also, is there any advice you can give me on how to protect my computer from threats? What programs I should use, and what I should also do to keep my computer clean and clutter free?

As for the Service Pack update, all I know is that when I went to bed my Windows Update started the SP2 update for Vista, and when I woke it was frozen on stage 2 of 3 at 100% complete. I simply restarted the computer and when it rebooted it started on stage 3 of 3, finished that and said it didn't install and was reverting back to my original settings. I haven't tried updating it since because I was waiting for you to give me the go ahead.

• Staff

Hi,

I think I see where the problem might be.

Like you said, you are using more than one antivirus program in resident mode (Norton, avast, and ClamWin). This is very dangerous, as multiple AVs can interfere with one another and actually allow MORE malware to get through. I strongly suggest you go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs and uninstall all but one antivirus program.

Let me know what you decide to do.

It loaded a lot faster that go round, and is running smooth still, though I've noticed surfing the web is running a little slower at times, but that could very easily be caused by my net connection. HughesNet is horrible but the best I can get in my area.

Here is the DDS:

DDS (Ver_10-12-12.02) - NTFS_AMD64

Run by AngelsBaby at 0:54:05.21 on Sat 02/26/2011

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.19019 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_22

Microsoft

• Staff

Yes it's likely your connection that's causing the slow browsing. You can call your ISP and see if they can investigate it if you'd like.

Next, please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.

1. Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click Start
  3. When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
  4. Click Start
  5. Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the option Scan unwanted applications is checked
  6. Click Scan
    Wait for the scan to finish
  7. Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  8. Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic

Next, download my Security Check from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Let me know how things are running now and what issues remain.

-screen317

Security Check:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.9

Windows Vista (UAC is enabled)

Out of date service pack!!

Internet Explorer 8

``````````````````````````````

Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Disabled!

avast! Free Antivirus

ESET Online Scanner v3

WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.

```````````````````````````````

Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Java 6 Update 22

Out of date Java installed!

Adobe Flash Player 10.2.152.26

Mozilla Firefox (3.6.13)

````````````````````````````````

Process Check:

objlist.exe by Laurent

Windows Defender MSASCui.exe

Windows Defender MSASCui.exe

Mozilla Firefox OnlineCmdLineScanner.exe -?-

Mozilla Firefox AvastSvc.exe -?-

Alwil Software Avast5 AvastUI.exe

``````````End of Log````````````

• Staff

Hi,

Navigate to Start --> Run, and type Combofix /uninstall in the box that appears. Click OK afterward. Notice the space between the X and the /uninstall

This uninstalls all of ComboFix's components.

Delete SecurityCheck.

After that, navigate to Start --> Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs, and uninstall the following program (if present):

Java

Ok, sorry I took so long on this I had to go out of town before I could get to it.

I have updated Java, and also updated everything including the SP2.

My net is slowing down again though, and I have talked with my provider, they said its not on their end. Other than that the computer seems to be running a lot better again.