malwarebytes super slow after reformat

so i own the full version and i reformat my whole machine and once windows was updated and everything installed i installed malwarebytes pro and next day i turn the computer on and run a scan even though its clean i do it anyway and it took 40 minutes to scan the computer and all that was on there was like 8gb of data it shouldnt have taken that long considering it was only windows and windows live messenger before i formatted my computer it was taking about 7 minute to scan the 36.4gb of data i had on the machine,

im using windows xp pro sp3

i did have some problems formatting the machine it kept freezing so idont know if it could actually be the hd thats hte problem or if its a faulty install by the way i got the download of malwarebytes from download.com and just incerted my key and stuff once it was installed

i did have some problems formatting the machine it kept freezing so idont know if it could actually be the hd thats hte problem or if its a faulty install by the way i got the download of malwarebytes from download.com and just incerted my key and stuff once it was installed

In order to make sure that MBAM is not the problem , perform clean install of it , update it . Then , clean all your temporary files data (here) , reboot in Safe Mode and perform full Scan with MBAM . Being in Safe mode guarantees you that no other security product you might have installed is not interfering with MBAM during scanning. If it is way faster , there is something in Normal mode that is the problem . If not , then it might be just your files or your HDD.

Here is how to perform clean MBAM install:

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Post back your findings :unsure:

In order to make sure that MBAM is not the problem , perform clean install of it , update it . Then , clean all your temporary files data (here) , reboot in Safe Mode and perform full Scan with MBAM . Being in Safe mode guarantees you that no other security product you might have installed is not interfering with MBAM during scanning. If it is way faster , there is something in Normal mode that is the problem . If not , then it might be just your files or your HDD.

Here is how to perform clean MBAM install:

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Post back your findings :)

so i did that and im runnign the scan in safemode now and i can already see a marked improvement before it would take a minute to scan each file it said it was scanning and itw oudl take for ever its burning thru the files now so i dont know whats interfering when the security is teh same as before the format and i made sure to toss the files i needed into the excluded files part for mse

so i did that and im runnign the scan in safemode now and i can already see a marked improvement before it would take a minute to scan each file it said it was scanning and itw oudl take for ever its burning thru the files now so i dont know whats interfering when the security is teh same as before the format and i made sure to toss the files i needed into the excluded files part for mse

the scan in safe mode took 7 minutes 11 seconds normal took 14 minutes and something seconds

So you mean that in SafeMode there is no problem ?

Make sure you use the latest version 2 of MSE . Then check your exclusions:

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Essentials and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Add... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Add... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files (x86)
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

So now after you reinstalled MBAM , a scan in Normal mode takes just 14 minutes which is way faster than 40 minutes before you posted here ? Am I right ?

yes its a massive improvement by the way i already added malwarebytes to the exclusions list for mse and im using version 2 oh and on a side not i didnt have mse ignored with malwarebytes so i did that but i did notice its called microsoft security client in the c program files folder ill run another scan in a few minutes to see how that goes im just waiting for mse to finish its scan

Yes, you'll see more HDD activity when scanning in normal mode vs Safe Mode, that's because rootkit scanning (DDA or Direct Disk Access) doesn't operate in Safe Mode, but it does in normal mode (one of the reasons we always recommend scanning in normal mode when possible).

yeah well before the format the scan wasnt so instense on the hd and another thing i noticed when the scans going on i dont get to always see what its doing the program screen goes white and i cant see anything and it will do that for minutes at a time before the format it wouldnt do that

im thinkin i just might reformat the machine and go thru the steps slowly i might have screwed up along the way or when i formatted i screwed the harddrive im not sure which because when i went to format it took about 3 hours or so to get it past installing drivers it kept freezing during htat process

Yeah, with all of those symptoms it does sound like it may be a hardware issue. I'd also highly recommend backing up anything critical before you proceed (I'm sure you already have since you already formatted once).

You might run the diagnostics on your hard drive as well. You can check your manufacturer's support site to see what they offer and if they don't have anything for it, you can check out the list of tools on this page.

Yeah, with all of those symptoms it does sound like it may be a hardware issue. I'd also highly recommend backing up anything critical before you proceed (I'm sure you already have since you already formatted once).

You might run the diagnostics on your hard drive as well. You can check your manufacturer's support site to see what they offer and if they don't have anything for it, you can check out the list of tools on this page.

well i got a brandnew harddrive and the scan is still taking 14 minutes in normal mode to scan with only less then 20gb on the harddrive so im thinking it might be ram now