unable to update database

Hello and :)

Please provide following details, so that someone may be able to assist you:

• OS version including 32/64-bit
  • Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall and Program Versions
  • MBAM version (current 1.50.1.1100) (Free or Pro)
  • Definition version (current 5701)
  • Do you use a router to connect to Internet
  • Are you showing any signs of an infection

Hello and :)

Please provide following details, so that someone may be able to assist you:

• OS version including 32/64-bit
  • Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall and Program Versions
  • MBAM version (current 1.50.1.1100) (Free or Pro)
  • Definition version (current 5701)
  • Do you use a router to connect to Internet
  • Are you showing any signs of an infection

Vista 32bit

Kasperky Internet security

No

No

• Staff

Try these settings:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Anti-Virus:

1.Open Kaspersky and click on Settings in the upper right-hand corner

2.Click on the right-most icon in the upper left to access Detected Threats and Exclusion Rules

3.Under Exclusions click on Settings...

4.In the Trusted zone window that pops up click on the Trusted applications tab

5.Click on the Add button and select Browse

6.In the browse window that opens navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

7.Double-click on mbam.exe and in the window that pops up, click the box next to each of the items listed in the window so that they are all checked and click on OK

8.Do the same for each of the following:

Try these settings:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Anti-Virus:

1.Open Kaspersky and click on Settings in the upper right-hand corner

2.Click on the right-most icon in the upper left to access Detected Threats and Exclusion Rules

3.Under Exclusions click on Settings...

4.In the Trusted zone window that pops up click on the Trusted applications tab

5.Click on the Add button and select Browse

6.In the browse window that opens navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

7.Double-click on mbam.exe and in the window that pops up, click the box next to each of the items listed in the window so that they are all checked and click on OK

8.Do the same for each of the following:

Sorry, TeMerc and gupta00:

Don't wish to intrude, but 1 quick question to F/U on the version of KIS:

gupta00, is your Vista SP2?

(I have seen a number of threads recently at other AV/security boards about trouble updating security programs with only SP1 installed. In many cases SP2 fixes the issue.)

Just a thought, and I apologize for intruding,

daledoc1

PS System date/time correct on the computer, I assume, and browser not mistakenly set to proxy is it? (These are the 1st 2 things to check suggested at KL forum when KIS isn't updating...)

@ TeMerc:

Information in my post is offered entirely in an effort to assist the OP, since I also use KIS. However, I will most respectfully defer to your expert advice, as you see fit. So, please feel free to "take it or leave it", as needed.

That said, I would be happy to assist the OP as best I can in the "PC Help" forum, before he returns here for resolution of his MBAM updating issues.

@ gupta00:

Both your KIS and your Vista OS are outdated.

This is a stability and security concern.

Both probably need to be updated ASAP, as doing so may resolve your MBAM update issue.

It is very important to follow the correct sequence of steps: 1) Uninstall KIS2010 & temporarily uninstall and clean-up MBAM, then 2) Update Vista to SP2, then 3) Do a "clean" install of KIS2011 (current build is 11.0.2.556 (abc)), and then 4) Reinstall MBAM.

EDITED FOR CLARITY!!!

STEP 1: KIS Uninstall:

First, from the KIS system tray icon, right-click it, then select "exit".

Then, uninstall KIS from the Windows control panel, opting to save activation data if you wish.

Reboot.

IMPORTANT: Always maintain at least one safe copy of your activation code (XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX with no 0s or Os), either offline and/or online (e.g. at https://my.kaspersky.com) since you need it to activate your KL software when reinstalling.

If you have trouble with uninstalling KIS, then follow procedures for the KAVRemover tool here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

Also be sure to uninstall MBAM from the control panel, reboot, and run the mbam cleanup too & reboot: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

STEP 2: Install Vista SP2 & any subsequent Windows updates:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

STEP 3: Clean install of KIS 11.02.556 (abc):

The most current versions can be downloaded here:

http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates

Updates are free within your license period, so long as you have a valid license from a legitimate source.

Important instructions for how to do a clean install are here:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=67812

You will need your activation code.

After install & activation, be sure to update it and then reboot.

STEP 4: Reinstall MBAM

Follow TeMerc's suggestions on how to set up MBAM Permissions in KIS, and how to add KIS to MBAM's "Ignore List".

You should be fine after this.

As I mentioned, I am only trying to assist as best I can as just another home user, not to hijack the mods' excellent advice.

If the mods would like to move this thread to "PC Help", that would be fine.

If you prefer otherwise, please just let me know how you'd like to proceed. :)

Best regards,

daledoc1

@ TeMerc:

OK, thanks.

Feel free to move this to PC Help, if appropriate.

@ gupta00:

I just now made a few minor but important edits to the procedure.

So, if you printed it out earlier, please take a fresh look now.

I will be offline for a few hours, but will try to check back soon.

daledoc1

I do not have KIS 2011.

Yes, gupta00, I understand that you do not have KIS2011.

That is exactly why it is advisable to update to the current version KIS2011. :)

It is to provide you with the most current, most stable, and most robust AV/FW protection.

If you would please read my posts, and the information in the links I gave you, you will see that:

1) Updates to the current version are FREE within your license period -- the activation code works for 2010 and 2011, so long as it has not expired;

2) The update process to a new KIS version does require uninstalling the 2010 and doing a clean install of 2011;

3) You really need to update Vista rather urgently, and you need to uninstall KIS first, no matter what (even if you plan to reinstall 2010, which is not recommended);

4) Updating first Vista and then KIS may resolve your MBAM update problem, and are, by themselves, a very high priority.

DO you have an activation code for KIS?

(It will be in the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX, with no zeros or Os. If you installed KIS2010 from a CD, it will be on the CD sleeve. If you purchased KIS online from KL or a retailer, it will be in an email sent to you.)

You will need to update Vista first, but you need to have your KIS activation code on hand, in case you need it to activate KIS when you reinstall.

This is true even if you decide not to upgrade to KIS2011 -- you can tell KIS2010 to "save activation data" when you uninstall it before your Vista update, but you may need again even if you reinstall KIS2010.

I'm sorry if I am not being clear, but if you will please read carefully what was provided, I think you will be able to follow the steps.

Please have a look at the links at the KL forums for more information, as well.

Thanks,

daledoc1