Back-up, Back-up and Back-up

jeffrey t

I'm yet to get to my problem, about losing over 50% of my files of many types and contents, including all music files.

But just want to confess that I did not do any on or off computer back-ups, so now I've lost these and if the virus is still here may lose the rest.

It's simple to tick the box to have a back-up made every time you save, I didn't. As simple to copy files to CD as well.

Don't think that it won't happen to you or you have the 'best protection' because I did, bugger.

I'm still not done trying to recover my files, nor finding the cause. Have come here to ask questions, soon.

Well have you got a good back-up and protection system?

Jeffrey

Guest garybear

Hello jeffrey1

Yes I have my OS backed up. I make a back image of my OS regularly with Macrium Reflect.

I make a image of my OS on a external USB, a secondary drive, and occasionally DVD's.

I'm running xp3, so i need a software program like Macrium Reflect.

You will get a lot of reply's on your thread. You will also get professional help with fixing your infections.

I'm sorry to hear you have lost a lot of data. I guess you have learned a hard lesson. You have came to the right place for help and will be getting a lot of help soon, so stay with us.

You need to explain what kind of problems your having. What OS your running and every thing you think will help someone help you.

Just remember this is a diverse forum and our members are from different parts of the world and may be on different time zones, so just be patient and you will get excellent help here.

Welcome to the Malwarebytes Forum my friend!!

garybear

Howdy, jeffrey t,

I also use Macrium Reflect... It is a great program..! Have you used it?

If not, you might not know that you must have two harddrives to use it. 'cause what good is the backup if it is stored on the C: drive and your C: drive just DIES..

...so MR just won't work without a second harddrive upon which to store the backup.

If you haven't used Macrium Reflect, before you do anything else... PLEASE BACKUP WHAT YOU HAVE NOW..!

Go to Majorgeeks or cnet or wherever and download a copy..

There's a 30 day free trial version, and a just plain "free" version (for people, not businesses).

Get either one ... run it ... and the top left of the screen, click on backup and click on make an image, and do it...

Then make a Rescue CD, boot it to be sure it works on your computer OK.

This way, you'll at least protect what you currently have, so if you lose more stuff,...

...You can restore your machine back to where it is now.

ALSO it is slower and takes up more space, but you can even make a FORENSIC backup image...!

You might want to do this, 'cause it copies everything on your harddrive.. ERASED programs AND ALL..!

(...for extra insurance, you might want to make a Forensic copy this one time.)

One more suggestion... on "grc.com" you can find a program called SpinRite that they sell for EIGHTY-NINE bucks... I have NOT used it, but it supposedly will allow you go into your harddrive and recover most of your data.

cheers.. wuzww :)

P.S. (I'm not affiliated with either of these companies, I'm only hoping to make suggestions that will help you,.. and if you think this will help,... I have a memo that I wrote up for my neighbors & friends describing how I use MR. If you want a copy, give me your email, or just ask, and I'll PM it to you.)

Thank-you very much for your replies, I will now investigate all your suggestions and get back to you later.

I have already done back-up to CD, but after buying a tower of dvd-r disks found that I don't have a dvd burner, only CD. More bucks.

NO I don't have a 2nd drive and will now buy a External drive, but have always known that a back-up on the same computer is no good if you lose the computer, but will help for accidents.

My system is: MS Windows XP PRO sp3 NTFS

Pentium 4, 1GB Ram

Using OpenOffice.org 3.2.1

I also have an older Pentium 3 computer plus a laptop, plus 2 older desk-tops.

I will post up on the General MWB Forum the full problem, but just quickly;

I have lost 50% of files inc. odt and ods, JEPG images, ms word 97 files, USR files, PDF and Text doc. They are all 0KB or 2KB DEAD.

All music files ripped onto computer are corrupt, but NO pictures are lost.

Thanks again

Jeffrey

Just don't let them be your only source of backup. If they go out of business or have a catastrophic failure and you don't have another source for your data then you've lost it for good.

So true! I personally avoid those online backup services that require a fee because I don't like the idea of my data being held for ransom, personally. They are just another backup too, but not a tool one should rely on exclusively

One word of caution. Online backups are a great idea, but remember - you're trusting a third party with your data. If you decide to do this, ALWAYS ensure your backups are ENCRYPTED! (and of course, backups are performed over an encrypted connection - if they don't provide facilities for this, don't use them!)

I thank-you for your replies and have known about net back-ups and believe the same, who's got acess to your data and can it be lost in space.

I'm about to go and get my "new" computer. I took it to my local shop and with all that is wrong; the dvd burner does not work, the processor is too slow, not enough ram, no second drive and it's corrupt, they said it's better to rebuild than repair. Will also get an external drive, so I can back-up all of my computers.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Howdy, Jeffery, :)

Like I said earlier, I prefer Macrium Reflect..

I also like shopping for 'puter parts on "newegg.com".

They have a "Shell Shocker" email special notification service... where they send out emails about their specials each

morning around midnight California, USA time.

Today, they offered a Hitachi 2-TB internal harddrive (that can be put into a case making it into an externam USB drive),

for the astonishing price of $59.99 after $10. rebate.

This won't do you any good, since they've already sold out of their supply..

But I mention it, 'cause you can sign up at newegg or similar companies and be alerted for good deals by simply checking

your emails each morning.

With Macrium Reflect, if you make a FORENSIC backup, instead of an "intelligent" backup...

It takes a lot more time and space, but it'll make an EXACT COPY of your harddrive.

You could also "pop" your existing hard drive out... saving it in its current condition.

Then install a new harddrive and do a fresh install.

This way you'd still have your old harddrive to use to try to recover lost files. I've not tried it, but I'm told SPINRITE

will recover lost or erased files (if they've not been overwritten...)

I wish you good luck..

cheers... wuzww :)

Well like I said I picked it up today and got; 500 gb drive, up from 80gb, I'm using 10gb! Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.8GHz and 2 gb Ram and a 320 gb external drive for back-ups. Also the dvd burner was dead so now a new one as well.

They also scanned for virus and found none, they were sure that it was a 'old' corrupt hard drive that caused the problem, not virus or malware.

Out of may-be 20 albums of music ripped to the computer all were dead except ONE, don't know why. But I can re-rip songs I can't replace all the files lost.

Biggest mistake was not to have a back-up system in place, after all these years of luck - it just ran out. BACK-UP.

I wonder if I could have checked the hard drive to have seen this problem coming?

Thanks for your input

Jeffrey

Snip. snip...

I wonder if I could have checked the hard drive to have seen this problem coming?

Thanks for your input

Jeffrey

Hello Jeffrey:

Download the freeware version of HD Tune and look at the S.M.A.R.T. data. One can often forcast the demise of their HDD by keeping an eye on these values.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T..

HTH

Hello Jeffery:

You shouln't feel uncomfortable about running HD Tune as it is non-destructive by design.

If you still feel uncomfortable, select only the "Health" tab and see if all categories in the rightmost 'Status' column are "Ok".

If they are, your hard disk is likely to be healthy, at this time, and you should revisit this application from time to time.

If the categories are not Ok, you can use the descriptions in the previous Wikipedia link to render a brief description.

Suffice to say if any of the categories go non-Ok, it's probably time to do a full-disk backup and begin to think about a replacement HDD.

HTH

Yes I have done all the tests and 1/2 understand most of them. Most are just info but some give a very good idea of your system and how it's running.

I ran this on my other desktop and found that I only have 1.5 gb free of 40 gb and it's over-heating. Both computers are ok on the health check which is the purpose of the test.

It will be good, when I put the corrupt hd in the spare computer, to test it and see what it comes up with.

Cheers

Jeffrey

I ran this on my other desktop and found that I only have 1.5 gb free of 40 gb and it's over-heating. Both computers are ok on the health check which is the purpose of the test.

Hello Jeffery:

You might try an interior cleaning of the computer's enclosure and a check of all cooling fans as poor heat disipation will certainly contribute to a shortened life for an overheated disk drive.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. Yes thanks for that 1PW, I did blow out that case, it wasn't that dirty. I also cleaned out heaps of files and old back-ups so now have 7.5 GB free!!

This new computer is ok so will get around to transferring data and other programs across soon.

I wonder how many people know what they have on their computer and where all the install discs are if they need them, like I do now. All mine from all computers are in a few boxes.

Just don't forget to back-up.

Cheers

Jeffrey

[...] S.M.A.R.T. data. One can often forcast the demise of their HDD by keeping an eye on these values.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip. I've seen the option to review SMART data in the disk manager but never actually used it. Fortunately, all the tests performed flawlessly on my disk. :(