Malwarebytes Icon with Blue&Gold Shield

My Windows 7 machine shows the Malwarebytes Icon with a blue&gold shield overlay in the lower right corner. My Windows Vista machine doesn't have the shield on the icon. I'm pretty sure this is related to some user account control setting but I just wanted some confirmation. Anyone know?

This is pretty normal icon - it means the program requires Admin rights to run. Have you disabled Vista's UAC ?

It's Windows 7, and I don't seem to have a way to disable it. But if it's normal and won't cause any problems, I'll just leave it that way. It also always asks me if I want to allow the program to make changes to the hard drive. It's not bothersome, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't somehow gotten a fake version of Malwarebytes when I set up my new computer.

Is this a paid Pro version or the free version? If it's the paid version then it should not be asking you to do things except if you manually launch the program from the tray icon.

No it's the free version. And when I start the computer in Safe Mode, the shield overlay isn't on the icon.

Is this a paid Pro version or the free version? If it's the paid version then it should not be asking you to do things except if you manually launch the program from the tray icon.

When I scan or update I use the icon on the desktop. It dims the screen and asks me if I want to allow the program to make changes to the hard drive. Then I get my updates, and I put it in safe mode to scan.

This is Windows's User Account Control (UAC)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...Account-Control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

If you don't see such thing in Vista , then UAC is disabled/stopped on your Vista computer.

In Safe mode you don't see the shield because UAC is off while in Safe Mode.

Thank you!

I turned UAC on my Vista machine but I still didn't get the same shield overlay on the Mbam icon. HOWEVER, it did start dimming the screen and prompting me for permission to continue like the Windows 7 machine does.

Thank you!

I turned UAC on my Vista machine but I still didn't get the same shield overlay on the Mbam icon. HOWEVER, it did start dimming the screen and prompting me for permission to continue like the Windows 7 machine does.

Okay, my friend is setting up a brand new PC and she went to the Malwarebytes site and downloaded the free version, and she also got the icon with the shield. She is also running Windows 7.

Thank you!

Perhaps if we delete your user account's icon cache file , the problem will get fixed and the shield will reappear.

Make sure you can see hidden files or folders:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html

Then , go to C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local and delete the IconCache dfb file.

Using Task Manager , kill and then re-launch explorer.exe or simply restart your computer . The shield should now appear.

Your friend's case is absolutely identical to yours . The shield is there for normal reason (UAC is enabled) and that is no problem . I also have the shield on all my computers running Windows 7.

Perhaps if we delete your user account's icon cache file , the problem will get fixed and the shield will reappear.

Make sure you can see hidden files or folders:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html

Then , go to C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local and delete the IconCache dfb file.

Using Task Manager , kill and then re-launch explorer.exe or simply restart your computer . The shield should now appear.

Your friend's case is absolutely identical to yours . The shield is there for normal reason (UAC is enabled) and that is no problem . I also have the shield on all my computers running Windows 7.

I really appreciate the confirmation. Takes a load off my mind. Thank you.

This is pretty normal icon - it means the program requires Admin rights to run. Have you disabled Vista's UAC ?

I also have the shield! I think it's pretty normal as well dont worry about it it shows you have security and will be asked to allow.I am on windows 7 as well.

Guest Code Hunter

You can change the level of the UAC or turn it off in Windows 7 in the Action Center. I show the same shield as you in on my PC with Windows 7 with the the UAC turned on or off.

post-42037-1296904035_thumb.png

Guest Code Hunter
As you show in your screenshot , disabling User Account Control is not recommended.

No it's not recommended, but I never use UAC because my firewall takes care of alerting me to any unwanted changes and I don't see the need for both processes.

• 10 months later...

It's Windows 7, and I don't seem to have a way to disable it. But if it's normal and won't cause any problems, I'll just leave it that way. It also always asks me if I want to allow the program to make changes to the hard drive. It's not bothersome, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't somehow gotten a fake version of Malwarebytes when I set up my new computer.

I came home to my Malewarebytes gone from my computer without my uninstalling it. So I reinstalled Malewarebytes and also wondered why the icon had the same shield when I reinstalled malewarebytes, too. Still no idea how my Malewarebytes disappeared. But this icon does look strange and I didn't do anything different when reinstalling Malewarebytes.