mbam.exe - Application error on EXIT

1. OS version: XP Pro (SP3)

2. Installed Security Product: Norton Internet Security 2011

3. Definition version: 5637

4. Brief description of the problem: On clicking the EXIT button I get the following window message:

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware: mbam.exe - Application error

The instrution at "0x6109b271" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory coud not be "read".

Click OK to terminate the program.

I also get the same message if I pull up and run "Check for Updates" in the MBAM menu in the System tray.

Oddly, I do not get the error message when I hit the red X button in the upper right corner to close the MBAM window.

1. OS version: XP Pro (SP3)

2. Installed Security Product: Norton Internet Security 2011

3. Definition version: 5637

4. Brief description of the problem: On clicking the EXIT button I get the following window message:

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware: mbam.exe - Application error

The instrution at "0x6109b271" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory coud not be "read".

Click OK to terminate the program.

I also get the same message if I pull up and run "Check for Updates" in the MBAM menu in the System tray.

Oddly, I do not get the error message when I hit the red X button in the upper right corner to close the MBAM window.

I am getting the same error. I contacted support and sent some files, but have not heard back yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings :welcome:

I need each of you to please do the following:

Create a Minidump using Sysinternals Process Explorer:

• Please download Sysinternals Process Explorer from here and save it to your desktop.

• Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:

1. Right-click on ProcExp.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click ProcExp.exe to run it.

[*]Replicate the crash by exiting MBAM and leave the error message on your screen.

[*]In Process Explorer find mbam.exe in the process list and right-click on it and hover your mouse over Create Dump and select Create Minidump...

[*]Save the mbam.dmp file to your desktop and close Process Explorer

[*]Right-click on the mbam.dmp file you just created and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Attach the ZIP file you just created to your next reply if it is small enough. If it isn't then please upload it to RapidShare

You don't need a Rapidshare account. All you need to do is click on the big yellow Upload File button on RapidShare's homepage then click Select Files and browse for the zip file you created and click on it once and then click Open. The file will then begin uploading and once it completes, it will provide you with a URL for the file download. Copy and paste that URL into your reply and I'll be able to download the file from there.

And I thought I was the only one having this problem. I have someone from Malwarebytes helping me out. I've sent them an Mbam.exe dump file, and their going through it to see what is causing it. As priviously stated, if I use the X to quit, then if I run it again, it works fine. When I use the Exit button, it leaves the mban.exe in the process part of Task Manager, so if you run it again it states that it is already running. I'm sure they will solve it shortly.

Hi,

I am also getting application errors with Mbam.exe on my Windows XP SP3 machine.

Below is the Event Viewer record and attached is an image of the error message.

Thanks.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: (100)

Event ID: 1000

Date: 17-Feb-2011

Time: 3:29:56 PM

User: N/A

Computer: HP2540P

Description:

Faulting application mbam.exe, version 1.50.1.3, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5755, fault address 0x00011295.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 6d 62 61 ure mba

0018: 6d 2e 65 78 65 20 31 2e m.exe 1.

0020: 35 30 2e 31 2e 33 20 69 50.1.3 i

0028: 6e 20 6e 74 64 6c 6c 2e n ntdll.

0030: 64 6c 6c 20 35 2e 31 2e dll 5.1.

0038: 32 36 30 30 2e 35 37 35 2600.575

0040: 35 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 5 at off

0048: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 31 set 0001

0050: 31 32 39 35 1295

post-42459-0-07171900-1297950151.jpg

Hi, spinacia:

While waiting for an expert to arrive, please follow Exile360's steps described in post #4 of this thread.

That will assist the engineers in troubleshooting your problem.

If you cannot generate the information, then please wait for assistance.

Someone will be along to help you soon,

daledoc1

PS A mod or admin might wish to split your post off to a fresh thread, to minimize confusion.

Thanks daledoc1.

I saw Exile360's steps described in post #4 of this thread and had considered them. However, they are irrelevant to me because I am unable to replicate/induce a crash.

It seems to me that the MBAM application crashes while some background activity (not a scan) is being performed.

--Spinacia

Thanks daledoc1.

I saw Exile360's steps described in post #4 of this thread and had considered them. However, they are irrelevant to me because I am unable to replicate/induce a crash.

It seems to me that the MBAM application crashes while some background activity (not a scan) is being performed.

--Spinacia

You can't replicate the crash by using the Exit button in MBAM's program window? My instructions never called for a scan with MBAM to be performed.

The only causes we've found for any of these so far were third party softwares that are installed hooking all other processes on the system, causing the crash/error message when the exit button is used. Removing or updating the software in question resolves the problem, but to determine what software is at fault, we need to see the log I requested in post #4.

You can't replicate the crash by using the Exit button in MBAM's program window?

No, I can not replicate an application crash via the "Exit" button.

My instructions never called for a scan with MBAM to be performed.

I know - I never said otherwise.

The only causes we've found for any of these so far were third party softwares that are installed hooking all other processes on the system.

I suspect that in my case it is a file synchronization application called "Syncplicty".

but to determine what software is at fault, we need to see the log I requested in post #4.

Is there any information in the Event Viewer that can help?

Thanks.

No, I can not replicate an application crash via the "Exit" button.

OK, then it's likely not the same error. Why is MBAM open if you aren't scanning? Is it the protection module that's crashing (PRO version) or is it just the scanner (mbam.exe)?

I know - I never said otherwise.

Sorry, I saw this and thought you were referring to a scan:

I suspect that in my case it is a file synchronization application called "Syncplicty".

That may well be. Have you tested disabling or removing that software temporarily to see if the issue goes away completely or not yet? That would be the place to start I think, so that you can either confirm it or eliminate it as a possible cause. If it turns out that it is the cause, then I'd recommend checking for updates for that program, and if there are none, then I'd recommend contacting the software vendor to see if it's a known issue, and if so, see if they have a fix or workaround for the problem. I say this, because in most cases, though MBAM seems particularly sensitive to it, other applications crash from time to time for the same reason (for example, when we discovered the first string of cases like this, it was due to a certain OCR software that shipped with Canon scanners and that it had already been reported to them as being a bug because it caused Internet Explorer and some other applications to crash from time to time in the same way it was causing MBAM to. They released an update that resolved the issue).

Is there any information in the Event Viewer that can help?

Unfortunately no, because that doesn't give us a crash dump of the process, which is what we would need to determine the actual root cause of the crash. The best way to get a crash dump would be the instructions in post #4, but since you can't consistently replicate it because it doesn't always occur, then you'd have to leave Process Explorer running until you get the crash, then, while the error message is still open (before clicking OK), use Process Explorer to create a memory dump of MBAM's process.

Exile360,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Please see below my comments.

Is it the protection module that's crashing (PRO version) or is it just the scanner (mbam.exe)?

I have the PRO version and now realize that it is protection module that is crashing. There is no crash while a scan is being performed.

Have you tested disabling or removing that software temporarily to see if the issue goes away completely or not yet?

No, I have not but will try.

The best way to get a crash dump would be the instructions in post #4, but since you can't consistently replicate it because it doesn't always occur, then you'd have to leave Process Explorer running until you get the crash, then, while the error message is still open (before clicking OK), use Process Explorer to create a memory dump of MBAM's process.

This seems the best option to debug the issue. I will do it later on.

Thanks,

--Spinacia

This seems the best option to debug the issue. I will do it later on.

Yes, and since it's the protection module that's crashing, you'll need to create a crash dump of a different process. It is most likely mbamservice.exe, because only mbamservice.exe and mbamgui.exe are used for the protection module. The scanner is mbam.exe.

Nevermind on mbamservice.exe and mbamgui.exe, I just looked back at the images you posted of your error message, and it is indeed mbam.exe that's crashing, that means it is the scanner.

I do not see the scanner application in the forefront doing a scan when a crash occurs. So is the scanner (MBAM.EXE) doing a silent background scanning?

Thanks.