Unable to register the DLL/OCX mbamext.dll fix

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other two files registered; mbamext didn't. When I then attempted to register mbamext.dll using regsvr32, the error message return code was 0x80040154, which Winerror.h says is:

//MessageId: REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG

//

// MessageText:

//

// Class not registered

Before installation of 1.75 the MBAMext keys didn't exist. Even after I installed 1.75 (by clicking ignore when I got the "failed to register" message), the mbamext keys didn't exist. However, the scanner seemed to run without problems and completed its log. (I did both a quick and a full scan.)

I then created the two MBAMext keys and ran the two related subinacl commands. These just added the RESTRICTED group and changed the owner from my username (which is an administrator) to the administrators group. (I'm not sure the RESTRICTED group means anything, since I'm running XP SP2.)

I again attempted to register mbamext.dll using regsvr32, but the error message return code was still 0x80040154. That seemed logical as the MBAMext keys that I created don't have clsid subkeys.

I hope this will help you debug the problem. I don't know how the class ID system works, but if the numbers are the same for all installations, perhaps you could supply a reg file so the registration could be done manually. Also, can you confirm whether MBAMext.dll needs to be registered just for scanning?

Thanks for your help.

The fix did not work. I downloaded the Microsoft tool and installed it. Then I downloaded the batch file and ran it. Then I tried to reinstall the malware module, and I got exactly the same message. I tried to reply on the malware site, but did not have permission to do so. I am a friend of Jim Watt. He suggested that I register on this site and tell you that the fix did not work. If someone wants to trouble shoot the issue with me, I will be glad to help however I can. You could phone and ask for Marilyn or send email to me.

• Root Admin

Hello marilyn and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Question... is your system currently infected?

If the system is not currently infected and you wish to work on this installation issue then I'll contact you via PM and work on it with you.

However if your system is infected or you think that it might be then you're best bet is to follow the directions below as best as possible.

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

Hello marilyn and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Question... is your system currently infected?

If the system is not currently infected and you wish to work on this installation issue then I'll contact you via PM and work on it with you.

However if your system is infected or you think that it might be then you're best bet is to follow the directions below as best as possible.

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

Sorry that I did not get this before Jim brought it to my attention!!!

I have no reason to think that the system is infected. This computer belongs to a friend and it needed a massive tune-up; Jim was very helpful to me in that effort; he suggested the malware "just to be extra-safe". I am staying with this friend until early tomorrow morning, when I leave for home. She is not very computer literate, so whatever we can do now will have to be done today. i will be here all day and will be checking my email often - as well as peeking at this forum.

• Root Admin

Okay, well that doesn't look like we have any real time to look into the issue as I have limited time here due to the Holidays as well.

If she does have issues and wants to try working on it via the forum please have her sign up and post away and I'll try to assist her as best I can.

Happy New Year.

Okay, well that doesn't look like we have any real time to look into the issue as I have limited time here due to the Holidays as well.

If she does have issues and wants to try working on it via the forum please have her sign up and post away and I'll try to assist her as best I can.

Happy New Year.

I really don't think she has any problems with malware on her computer. She just had her 84th birthday. And while she can navigate email and Firefox, that is about the limit of it. So I don't think she can possibly help you with the problem I had with installing your tools.

Best of luck to you - and Happy New Year!

m2

I really don't think she has any problems with malware on her computer. She just had her 84th birthday. And while she can navigate email and Firefox, that is about the limit of it. So I don't think she can possibly help you with the problem I had with installing your tools.

Best of luck to you - and Happy New Year!

m2

It may not be malware related directly, but it's possible (even probable) that going through those steps (especially HijackThis) would enable one of the experts to analyze what's going on with the system and fix the problem. It could be something caused by DHCP or DNS errors or even a problem with the Hosts file (as far as the web browsing issue goes).

I am very confused by this thread.

Does the fix work or not?

I am running Vista Ultimate SP 1.

Is the fix XP specific or not?

I really think Malwarebytes is great. It has rescued several PCs for me.

I was running an old version.

I went to run Malwarebytes. Before I ran it I did the update. I got the unable to register message with the update. I uninstalled the original version and downloaded the current version from this site. Now I have the error and a no Malwarebytes.

So what now???

Thanks!!

• Root Admin

These steps were written and tested on Windows XP, not on Vista. It might work but it has not been tested.

It also depends on what error you're getting. It could be that some Malware is preventing it in which case this topic does not apply.

Please post a new topic in General letting us know what errors or issues you have trying to install MBAM

I can start a separate thread if that's what the moderator want but the error I'm receiving is

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5

which is exactly the message that started this topic.

I have no errors right now on my Vista PC but I'm also tech support so I use Malwarebytes at work.

At work I have only XP PCs.

Do I download the old version and don't apply updates?

• Root Admin

No, that's fine you can post here.

Did you right click and run the installer as Administrator or did you wait for the UAC to ask?

0X5 is: Access is denied

So basically something was preventing it based on the fact you don't have rights. It could be the executable action, the registry action, the folder/file location and it needs to be tracked down.

If you know how to set the ACL permissions for files/folders/registry let me know and I won't go through it, otherwise say so and I'll provide some type of automated script to run or test it with.

• Root Admin

Try doing this and let us know if it fixes it.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Start MalwareBytes AntiMalware
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Select the Update tab
    • Click Update

[*]When the update is complete, select the Scanner tab

[*]Select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.

[*]When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

[*]Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

[*]When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply

• If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Hello. I have a machine that is getting error registering SSubTimer6.dll Ox5.

I have tried the SubinACL fix and it replies that the Security ID structure is invalid.

Mbam still won't install. Any ideas. I've also run HJT and Combofix. I'm pretty experienced with malware removal, but this one has me stumped.

hi, i have the same problem as the people above but even hijackthis won't work i get the error "This Application has failed to start because MSVBVM60.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." any ideas.. on how to fix hijackthis so someone can further help me with my problems?

• Root Admin

@Superfreak91

That sounds more like you may have a Cryptography security issue or may need to run CHKDSK

@confusedguy AND @shamrock and others.

When I get time I will try to work on updating the posted fix, however if you have active Malware blocking the installation then that needs to be corrected first. Please post a LOG in the HJT forum for assistance with removing Malware.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone, Just wanted to pass along some information. I Used the subinacl +Batch file trick to reset permissions to allow installation of MBAM, but ran into a problem with ONE registry key.

The key was "Hkey_Classes_Root\.mbam" .

I had to go into the registry to that key and manually set the permissions by taking ownership of the key, and setting full control for administrators. AFter setting that permission everything went smoothly.

Also MBAM is the BEST program that I know of for getting rid of the majority of the WinAntivirus 2009 infection. I used MBAM, Hijack this, Spybot search and destroy, and LSPfix. MBAM is the BEST free program out there, and I cannot begin to praise its dev team enough. THANK YOU Malwarebytes team for helping IT pros like me kick some major @$$!