Update failed

Update failed. Make sure you are connected to the internet and your firewall is set to allow Malwarebites' Anti-Malware to access the internet. Norton Security Suite is set to 'Allow' the program internet access. Rebooted after setting to allow but continue to receive the same error. IT at work recommended this program because I have been having problems w/ Firefox. Issue results in needing to use task manager to close Firefox. Browser continues to operate normally until dialog/permission box opens and will not accept input. Help me please.

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Could you take a screenshot of the error you are getting? Post it here.

After that please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Does the error persist? Does the erratic browser behavior only occur in Firefox? What version are you using?

I have succsessfully installed and updated Malwarebytes. Quickscan found and cleared trojans and noted in log copied below. Will monitor and advise if problems with Firefox have been elminiated. Please advise if you see any further actions necessary.

Thank you for your prompt and efficient assistance.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5571

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18999

1/22/2011 11:17:15 AM

mbam-log-2011-01-22 (11-17-15).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 179363

Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 2

Registry Values Infected: 1

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsoft (Trojan.Fraudpack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\avsoft (Trojan.Fraudpack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\grstiwoe (Trojan.FakeAlert.Gen) -> Value: grstiwoe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

The problem persists thus far only in Firefox, version 3.6.13.

I am not certain how to describe the issue but I will give it a try. I can open Firefox normally and visit websites normally. The problem doesn't appear from start-up. The issue becomes evident when a dialog box opens, usually seeking cookie permission and that dialog. No matter the response I attempt none of the buttons available will accept/respond to a mouse click. Subsequently I have noticed that if I am not frozen by a dialog box I am unable to close Firefox using the close button in the top right corner. This leads me away from the actual dialog box being the issue. The only means to close Firefox is via the task manager. I have downloaded the most recent version of Firefox and was able to complete the install process. I did not uninstall Firefox prior running the installation program as I wasn't sure how to preserve my bookmarks.

Today, after Firefox had frozen from this issue I was able to open IE and I was able to respond to dialog boxes in IE and close normally.

Any additional advice is welcome.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5583

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18999

1/23/2011 7:36:55 PM

mbam-log-2011-01-23 (19-36-55).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 179455

Time elapsed: 11 minute(s), 31 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

DDS (Ver_10-12-12.02) - NTFSx86

Run by HP USER at 19:38:13.37 on Sun 01/23/2011

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18999 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_21

Microsoft

• Staff

Hi,

Next, please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.

1. Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click Start
  3. When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
  4. Click Start
  5. Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the option Scan unwanted applications is checked
  6. Click Scan
    Wait for the scan to finish
  7. Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  8. Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic

Next, download my Security Check from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Let me know how things are running now and what issues remain. If you still can't update, tell me how your home network is set up; are you connected wirelessly? Is there a router? Etc..

-screen317

After ComboFix I think things are running better w/ Firefox. I had hoped there would be an 'ahah' moment so I could be certain. I don't spend much time online during the week on this PC so I hesitate to call the case closed at this moment. The initial issue regarding the inability to update was resolved when I was directed to download a more recent version.

Nonetheless I have taken the steps previously directed and the reports follow.

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:

OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.8

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (UAC is enabled)

Internet Explorer 8

``````````````````````````````

Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Disabled!

ESET Online Scanner v3

WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.

```````````````````````````````

Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Java 6 Update 21

Java 6 Update 7

Out of date Java installed!

Adobe Flash Player 10.1.102.64

Adobe Reader 9.4.1

Out of date Adobe Reader installed!

````````````````````````````````

Process Check:

objlist.exe by Laurent

Norton ccSvcHst.exe

ESET ESET Online Scanner OnlineCmdLineScanner.exe

Microsoft Small Business Business Contact Manager BcmSqlStartupSvc.exe

``````````End of Log````````````

• Staff

Hi,

Navigate to Start --> Run, and type Combofix /uninstall in the box that appears. Click OK afterward. Notice the space between the X and the /uninstall

This uninstalls all of ComboFix's components.

Delete SecurityCheck.

After that, navigate to Start --> Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs, and uninstall the following programs (if present):

Java

Good Evening,

Well, the Laptop had a start-up issue. :blink: I powered up and the only thing I recall seeing was the recover countdown that appears at each start-up, when I returned to the computer the screen was black although the activity lamp for the harddrive was flickering green and occasionally orange. I don't recall the time frame but I powered down using the power button. Upon restart I followed the Vista prompts for a start-up recovery and ultimately did a restore as prompted. Presently I am unable to uninstall Combofix as it isn't found and I don't see it on the desktop. Security Check is no longer on the desktop. I don't know much about the restore/recovery process or if it is the reason Combofix and Security Check are no longer found on my desktop.

Previously after running Combofix I thought the PC started up much quicker but it turned out that it didn't eliminate the issue that appears w/ Firefox hanging up. I can add at least one other observation about this status. When I use task manager to close Firefox in the description that typically reflects the website that is open is not the same as listed in the task manager, the task manager description is a previous website. I have though that for each of these steps you have been guiding me through have been run through has been done on a recently started computer. Would it be reasonable to think that I should attempt to a Malware scan once I have a hung Firefox condition.

I agree, it appears to be something w/ Firefox as I had no issues when visiting many of the same sites using IE.

I have attempted an uninstall and reinstall but it hasn't cleared up the issue.

Never heard about 'Safe-Mode' for Firefox. What could I learn by trying this option?

I have looked at Firefox Help Troublshooting but it is not clear to me if a particular section applies.

• Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!