Sign in to follow this  
SOCIOPATH

Need Help Formatting An External Harddrive

Looks like the driver is still there. :) Go to control panel, system and click Device Manager on the advanced tab. :)

Formatting would be quicker. :) Ubuntu will still need to be uninstalled(add/remove programs)even though it didn't finish. :)

ubuntu is not in my add or remove programs. See, the last time it errored, when i restarted, it said i would need to uninstall it so i did and it seems to be gone. Any other way you want me to check if it is gone for sure? I looked around and all instances of Ubuntu seem to be gone.

Also is there a way for me to double check that CD drive (E:) is useless and doesnt need to be there? See, my DVD burner drive is a sony and is drive (D:) check screenshot

but a while back i had mounted an image for a computer game and then that drive C seemed to stay even when i uninstalled the game. So i assume thats the partition or something even though its useless??

ok i have an option to uninstall the HP virtual cd via the device manager, do i select to uninstall it or disable?

P.S. - the only instances of Ubuntu seem to be the files that we originally put onto the USB stick, drive (H:)

I see. Under Local Disc C should be a folder named Ubuntu above Windows. If it's not it's gone. :)

Instead of using the device manager it'll be quick to right click the drive and select properties. Next click driver and uninstall. :)

ok HP driver is gone. i still see the exe though of uuactokensvc.exe in the task manager. Should i go to msconfig and disable it and then remove it or what route should i go??

Also should i now go and format my usb stick too??

I also dont see any Ubuntu folder or files where you asked me to look so i think its gone

Also should i uninstall that drive (c:) as well since its useless and has nothing on it?

Update:

I also just ran a full search on my computer for any instances of the word Ubuntu and none exist so it must be gone :)

Remove it from startup. :)

Yep. :)

If it's not there then it's gone. :)

I assume F or G? C is your main and contains windows. :)

ok in services under msconfig i have a process called Backup Service ArcSoft Inc. and i am certain that is to do with the HP drive. Any info you can give me on that? In startup i only found one instance of HP for the drive but it wasnt the same exe i was looking for.

Looks to be a backup program. Probably hp used it. You can safely disable it.:) What was the name?

ok it seems that the HP Launcher drive keeps coming back after i uninstall it lol. It is back again now. I no longer have the uuactokensvc.exe

running but i do have this exe running which i am not sure what it is: StartManSvc.exe

Also the startup process i disabled was called HPSimpleSaveMonitor but when i check the ending of the location it isn't that uuactokensvc.exe. It was called StartHelper.exe and is located along with a ton of other files in C:\Documents and Settings\Murry\Application Data\HP SimpleSave Application

I have 2 folders with a pile of HP hard drive files inside called HP SimpleSave Application and HPSS

I also have a restore link on my desktop that i was told to create by the HP software when i first bought it. It is related to the HP drive. Should i just delete that file?

It is located at "C:\Restored Files"

It is directly related to the HP drive before we formatted it. It is now useless. Do i simply delete that file?

I am running for supper but any help would be great. I assume these 2 main folders in App data are what is still causing HP external drive programs to run. Let me know what to do with these or if i also need to go further and remove registry entries or something.

If you can't delete them I recommend starting a new topic and request help from an Expert. I know some tools that can delete them, but it wouldn't be proper as I haven't finished my malware removal training. :)

Sorry Advanced, its more my fault then Buttons lol. we kinda had to keep going back and forth to catch each other at the right times so i posted a little too much :)

In the future, your right, IM would be better :P

No apology needed. Just seems like a it's a lot harder to visit and use a forum to post back and forth at such a high communication level. IM seems much better geared for that to me.

So, is the problem sorted? Drive formatted to FAT32? I skimmed over the myriad of posts, but SOCIOPATH, has it been a success? I'd like to think so over almost 200 posts. :lol:

All sorted out. It was a lot quicker to use the fat32 format tool then Ubuntu although it could have done the job. Just wished I found out sooner. :lol: