Need Help Formatting An External Harddrive

SOCIOPATH

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok burning now again. And once i reboot and boot from cd, i will then get a chance to come back onto my OS and then open firefox and continue to talk on the forums while i run throguh the process?, or it will run through firefox you meant?

No I mean it'll run the Ubuntu Operating System from the disc which comes with Firefox. :P

@ ColdHeart

Nope i have no option in windows xp to format the drive as FAT32. Thats why i think Buttons has me using Ubuntu. However i do have the program Ubuntu insalled on my USB, so can i bypass having to burn Ubuntu to a cd and instead run it right from the USB? buttons seemed a bit hesitant about doing that so i am respecting his advice and hes been very helpful for me !!!

O and when trying to format my external drive, the only option it gives me in the drop down menu is NTFS. Maybe i was missing something? Buttons seemed to think the same thing as me, that for some reason i dont have the FAT32 option. I can shoot a screenshot of what option i have if needed?

Anyone know a quick free program that i can paste screenshots into and then upload and get an internet link so they are larger and cleaer to read rather than just plopping my image into paint which seems to be kinda grainy?

Update as well Buttons:

I am getting an error when trying to burn. I have a feeling i need to run a disc cleaner on my burner. Let me buy one here in the next few hours and give that a shot. I also may need to buy some new discs. Unless you think it is worth a shot to try and run the program through the USB. If not give me maybe 1 to 2 hours from now and i will have Ubuntu burnt onto a disc :P

ok when i load from the boot menu which option do i choose since i dont have it on a cd disc. Will i still go through the IDE cd rom? This is a USB so will i have an option to boot from the usb from the boot menu or what do i choose in F12?

hmm nope, no option to boot from USB. I am gonna have to go downtown and buy some more discs because i think the few crappy discs i had left to burn on are wrecked so thats why i am getting the burn errors. I will try to go as fast as possible and buy a new pack of discs and burn this thing. Thanks for your patience Buttons !!