Need Help Formatting An External Harddrive

SOCIOPATH

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is fine. :) Just need to run the live cd. :) Which will run the Ubuntu Operating System from memory. It may be slow depending on your processor and memory.

1. Reboot the system after burning the disc and launch the boot menu by F12. Choose the cd drive or usb device.

2. Choose run the live cd. DO NOT CHOOSE INSTALL!!!! This won't install directly, but it will lead you into something that could erase your hard drive.

3. It'll load Ubuntu from memory and load into the Ubuntu OS.

4. At the top left menus choose System and Administration from the drop down men and Disk Utility.

5. Make sure the hard drive is plugged in and locate it on the left then choose unmount(needs to be hidden so nothing attempts to use it)then choose format and FAT(Same as fat32).

This will format in the fat32 file system that Windows won't do. Let me know if you are stuck on anything and I'll provide some screenshots.:) Don't format it under windows again otherwise it may change it back to NTFS(can't remember).

Your drive should be formatted and work like you want.:)

Thanks Buttons. I just want to make sure i do everything exactly the way i am supposed to. Any chance i could get you to be a little more detailed in your step by step so i dont screw anything up?? i mean, starting right from me downloading the software on the web site can you direct me all the way to formatting? That would help me a great deal.

For example guide me exactly when to download things to my USB, when to start running Ubuntu in detail etc. I am sorry for bugging you but i am scared i will screw something up, so if you have time i would greatly appreciate a very detailed step by step starting with me at the download page on the Ubuntu web site!! All help is appreciated Buttons !!

P.S. When do i need to make sure the drive is hidden ie unmounted? Thats kinda why i need more detailed steps or i will screw up LOL !!

The tool will download everything you need if you haven't.:) If you have it won't be much different.

1. Run the tool and use the drop down box and choose Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop i386 and ether check the box to download and it'll install it for you or choose the file location. I'm gonna download it as I don't have it on file. :)

hmm i have fast internet but it says it is going to take about an hour to download :)

Now once it downloads, you want me to run it correct? Its an image file so i can only run it by using ISO software correct? So once i download it i assume i use Nero or whatever iso software i have??