Burn cd problem.

AnExMember

Is there a reason MBAM would conflict with burning a CD?

Whenever I attempt to burn a disk, and I mean EVERY time, it runs half way or so through it and then either crashes the computer or "WMP has encountered a problem blah blah and needs to close" appears. When I turn off MBAM it seems to fix the situation and the burning works ok.

I tried with other burning programs with the same results.

If necessary I will carry on turning MBAM off and then back on.

Any ideas?

Using:

WinXP Home SP3

Avira

Thanks for reading. ;)

Take a look at your event viewer and see if it gives any clue as to what's going on.

This is the only error I found in Event Viewer:

qp1kro.jpg

and then in the Help & Support link it gave me.

642e5i.jpg

Doesn't mean much to me though.

One thing I discovered is that I can burn data disks ok - it's just the audio disks that fail as far as I can make out.

And that's with different manufacturers' disks. I have also tried it at different speeds.

;)

• Root Admin

So if you do a FULL uninstall of Malwarebytes and reboot can you still duplicate this burning issue or does it go away when MBAM is removed from the system. ?

Try following this Microsoft KB article and see if it helps.

You can no longer access the CD drive

Not your exact error but often misconfiguration of filter driver entries cause issues.

If you have Nero INCD or Sonic DLA or similar software installed I would remove it as they can be problematic.

So if you do a FULL uninstall of Malwarebytes and reboot can you still duplicate this burning issue or does it go away when MBAM is removed from the system. ?

Try following this Microsoft KB article and see if it helps.

You can no longer access the CD drive

Not your exact error but often misconfiguration of filter driver entries cause issues.

If you have Nero INCD or Sonic DLA or similar software installed I would remove it as they can be problematic.

I had some sonic updater thing on here - I removed it just in case but there was no other sonic stuff.

I also removed another couple of burning programs I had and just for good measure I uninstalled/reinstalled MBAM again [as per the directions here]

I Went through the regedit article and came to "If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more" and I didn't have the LowerFilters.

Anyway, I retried to burn an audio disk and got the same failure result.

Tried again with MBAM off and also got the same error - well I think that at least clears MBAM if nothing else. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Root Admin

My suggestion would be to go into your DEVICE MANAGER and remove the CD/DVD Drive and reboot the computer. The system should automatically find and install the CD Drive again on it's own.

Then test it again. If you're still having problems burning I'd think it might be a faulty drive. Maybe try borrowing a friends drive and check it out and if his/hers works then buy a new drive.

My suggestion would be to go into your DEVICE MANAGER and remove the CD/DVD Drive and reboot the computer. The system should automatically find and install the CD Drive again on it's own.

Then test it again. If you're still having problems burning I'd think it might be a faulty drive. Maybe try borrowing a friends drive and check it out and if his/hers works then buy a new drive.

I have a spare CD/DVD drive that I could try.......this one is only a few months old [not that that means it's not knackered]

I'll try that and let you know, when I get the chance.

Thanks.

• Root Admin
Test the drive by booting with from a bootable cd

You might doublecheck those filter divers

http://www.bustrace.com/products/devfilter.htm

Here's the original program those of in this field use

filter drivers are like rootkits and get corrupted easily

Yes they can be a pain, but just because one can boot from a CD does not mean the burner is working correctly. Also removing it from the system via device manager should remove all the filter drivers and restore them as needed (except for some burning applications) though I've not experienced or seen too many posts where many have had to reinstall their software to regain burning ability. Most of the time removal / reinstall of the hardware works for most users. As with anything there are exceptions but they do appear to be rare.

I had some sonic updater thing on here - I removed it just in case but there was no other sonic stuff.

I also removed another couple of burning programs I had and just for good measure I uninstalled/reinstalled MBAM again [as per the directions here]

I Went through the regedit article and came to "If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more" and I didn't have the LowerFilters.

Anyway, I retried to burn an audio disk and got the same failure result.

Tried again with MBAM off and also got the same error - well I think that at least clears MBAM if nothing else. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi There.

Please copy the following to notepad and save it as fixmystuff.vbs, then double click to run it. Or just manually follow the code with regedit and do as it does. Reboot your pc after. Right click your burner, enable cd-rom burning. Now test it.

Lemme know how it goes.

'Restore CD-Roms and DVD's to Explorer

'xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs

'

• 2 weeks later...