UPX false positives

tuyen

I have two questions:

1) Can you guys please update your scan algorithms so that they don't freak out every time a UPX header is detected? I'm a software developer, and I can confirm with 100% certainty that any EXE file compressed with UPX will trigger a warning with a "TROJAN.DOWNLOADER" message, even if the file is perfectly clean.

2) Why is Malwarebytes randomly popping up warning messages about files which are not being executed? The message says that Malwarebytes blocked a file which was attempting to run, but this is absolutely not true, because those are my own executables which I created and placed them into my C:\Temp directory for testing purposes. They are NOT resident in memory, and there's nothing else which is attempting to load them, so why is Malwarebytes being triggered?

It is impossible to correct words alone, we do need samples and I can assure you that UPX alone will not cause detection.

Thanks for the reply and for your assurance. However, my experience tends to disagree with your statement. Please find attached a zip file containing 4 different test files. Each of them are completely clean, very simple programs, with totally different purposes. The only thing they have in common is that they've all been compressed with UPX 3.07.

When I compile the files and run them, they do NOT trigger the Malwarebytes warning message. But as soon as I compress them, all four of them trigger the exact same warning message (TROJAN.DOWNLOADER).

UPX_FalsePositives.zip

• Staff

Can you update and rescan this should be fixed now.

This was a combination of upx , program used to make the files before compression and no version info that caused some of the issue. If any one of these were different they would of not been detected. All 3 symptoms are very common in malware.

Thanks for the files!

Can you update and rescan this should be fixed now.

Perfect! Everything's working now without any warning messages.

This was a combination of upx , program used to make the files before compression and no version info that caused some of the issue. If any one of these were different they would of not been detected. All 3 symptoms are very common in malware.

Thanks for the files!

So if I would've added version info to the executable, it wouldn't have triggered the warning? That's good to know for future reference.

Thanks for the very quick response and fix.