malware won't update

try this and see if it helps:

# Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

# Restart your computer (very important).

# Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

# It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

# After the computer restarts, Temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent if you are using the paid version

I am having the same problem but with the message Program_Error_Updating (12007, 0, WinHttpSendRequest). I ran Malwarebytes with the 25-day-old version I downloaded and it seemed to be working (removed a number if infected files), but the underlying problem of continual alerts by some anti-virus company and inability to use my browser (Firefox) or connect to sites like Microsoft or Malwarebytes continues.

I tried your solution below and did fine with running mbam-clean.exe off a flash, but when I tried to connect to the site to download the program, all I could get was Server Not Found. Is there a way to disable the "anti-virus" that someone seems to be trying to make me buy and that is blocking my access to the internet?

This is all pretty new to me, so I'd appreciate as much detail as possible.

Hi Tom717, and Welcome to Malwarebytes!

Seems like you still have some infection there that is preventing you from accessing some sites...

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

As we don't deal with malware removal in the General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

PS: Please use the "ADDREPLY" t_reply.gif button instead of other ones when you start replying. :P

I am having the same problem but with the message Program_Error_Updating (12007, 0, WinHttpSendRequest). I ran Malwarebytes with the 25-day-old version I downloaded and it seemed to be working (removed a number if infected files), but the underlying problem of continual alerts by some anti-virus company and inability to use my browser (Firefox) or connect to sites like Microsoft or Malwarebytes continues.

I tried your solution below and did fine with running mbam-clean.exe off a flash, but when I tried to connect to the site to download the program, all I could get was Server Not Found. Is there a way to disable the "anti-virus" that someone seems to be trying to make me buy and that is blocking my access to the internet?

This is all pretty new to me, so I'd appreciate as much detail as possible.

Hi , I am having the same problem :-(( have you been able to sort things yet ? cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add.....

Make sure you are updating with admin rights.....

If you are doing this from a limited account, right click on the Malwarebytes Icon and select Run As Admin

When I do this, I get a message that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The 'check for updates' button in Malwarebytes is greyed out in this user profile, but not in the administrator profile. I can update from the administrator profile, because the 'check for updates' button is not greyed out. I know I am using the correct password for the administrator profile.

I am running Windows XP SP3. I have the free version of MWB

I'm having update issues as well. I've tried the uninstall with the clean files. I went into AVG to exclude the correct files although I don't seem to have the zlib.dll, and I checked my Window XP settings.

The only thing that does work is if I go into the Malwarebyte's folder and change mbam.exe to mbam.com. Then I can up date fine. Once I got updated I ran Malwarebytes, but I didn't get any virus. My log came back clean. I also ran AVG and again no viruses were found. Is there someting else that could be off? Thanks for any help.

-Ashes

• 2 weeks later...

As a additional twist, when I right click on ANY program and bring up the 'run as' dialog box, I get the same error message. Is it possible that there is a setting I need to change in the security settings under the administrator profile? How frustrating this has been. After my computer was infected recently, I was told not to work under the administrator profile on a daily basis, and to use it only when actually doing things that require administrator access. Ever since then, nothing seems to work right in the new profile. I wish I was a computer geek instead of a wannabe...sigh.