Slow Computer

Forgeahead

I have a Toshiba Satelite L455 Laptop running Windows 7. It is a Celeron 900 at 2.20 GHz and 3 GB of RAM. Hard Drive is has 46.5 GB of data and has 175GB of free space.

When I first got this laptop it ran great but it has gotten really slow. Infact if spend more time waiting for it to respond to a mouse click than I can work. Can't hardly type for the long response times.

Does this sound like a Virus, Malware or some other type of system problem?

Can you please direct me to a good place to start evaluating this? I have it set up next to this desktop unit.

Thanks.

Terry

• Root Admin

Hi Terry,

Windows does slow down over time but from the sounds of it your case does not sound normal. It could be Malware but most Malware typically has signs of an infection either visibly or behavior wise. Do you get redirected to other websites when searching for something? Do you see any popup programs that never used to be there?

You can start out by running the following scans and we'll see if we see anything obvious that might be causing it if you like.

STEP 01

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 02

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

STEP 03

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

My wifes Laptop is not running MBAM Pro. I have MBAM Pro on my computer but not her's. I have not done anything relative to exclusions and the McAfee does not seem to look like is described in the instructions I am not running that version I don't believe. I have the full version of it though. I don't see anywhere to put in exclusions.

Terry

• Root Admin

For now please give this a try. Run a full disk check and then in the next day or so someone should be able to review your file more and see if they can help with that.

How to Run Check Disk at Startup in Vista

Computer and browser slowness are not always malware related

Poor performance and other problems can be the result of disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

Listed below are a few things you can do to improve speed and system performance. Many of the these suggestions will apply if you're using Windows Vista but may be done a bit differently. Near the bottom of this thread there is a section specifically devoted to Vista Users.

For browser problems, see:

If your having connectivity issues or errors such as Page cannot be displayed see

If you're using Vista or Internet Explorer 7, see

If you have a lot of toolbars and add-ons attached to Internet Explorer, you could try improving performance by disabling those which are unecessary. See:

• Root Admin

Much of the information is generic and is for reading and reviewing. Many times (not always) how you do something is the same or similar on Widows 7

It could also be that you're having a hard disk issue. You might want to see if you can boot into the BIOS and see if they have a built-in disk checking tool to see if maybe it's hardware related.

just for the sake of further information ...

can you start task manager and look for *something* that is consuming a lot of cpu time ?

can you post a screen shot of task manager ?

i am not saying that this is the problem ... but ... i noticed that you are using mcafee av .

i recall that there have been some instances where there was a "hiccup" and mcafee caused a machine to bog down .

(ps ... toolbars ... i avoid 'em like the plague)

A couple of things. Earlier I said I was not running MBAM Pro, well I checked and I am and did not realize that. But, other than the extremely slow process both McAfee and MBAM seem to run.

I check for programs that were running CPU a lot and there are none, only a few at 2-3%.

Half the physical memory seems to be available.

Is there any diagnostic programs that will help. I have run the Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool and it says everything is ok.

Terry

• Root Admin

Well how relative to "better" is it? If it seems like it's back to normal then I'm betting that there was a conflict with the program and it needs to have the exclusions setup better to operate properly if you can. Some versions of McAfee don't provide an exclusion mechanism.

• Root Admin

No I'm not familiar with the various version to be able to tell you how to find the version.

You did not answer the question though. Is the computer much faster now with MBAM removed?

Where did you get McAfee Internet Security from? Was it already on the computer when you got it?

Do you have a subscription for it? When does it end?

just for the sake of further information ...

can you start task manager and look for *something* that is consuming a lot of cpu time ?

can you post a screen shot of task manager ?

i am not saying that this is the problem ... but ... i noticed that you are using mcafee av .

i recall that there have been some instances where there was a "hiccup" and mcafee caused a machine to bog down .

(ps ... toolbars ... i avoid 'em like the plague)

Just like to say; I use McAfee, uses 636k (kb maybe) when not being used, 7k when opened and 15k when scanning. :P

Redirected at thread: I know for a fact, that there is no exclusions for McAfee, it was removed in the 2009 version.

i agree with advancedsetup ... something else is going on .

you mentioned that it has become slower over time .

there are three possibilities/areas that i can think of that might cause a "slow sown" , some of these have been mentioned previously ;

lot's o' crap running in the background ("legit" and mal/scumware stuff)

a bad program chunk/update that is "hogging"

the cpu has gone into thermal fold-back due to plugged cooling air flow/path

as an example of the latter , i recently worked on a machine that was running slow .

it most certainly had a bunch of needless stuff running in the background and was infected (nothing super serious) .

however ... i noticed that after a short period of time after starting the machine that the cooling fan was running full-tilt all the time and the machine became slow to respond .

a close external examination confirmed what i observed ... the next step was to correct the problem .

because it was a laptop , and by design , i had to completely disassemble the whole thing to clean out the fan and heat exchanger . :P

... just trying to present some possibilities ...

I have checked task manager and there are no items running major CPU time. 2-3% only at any time for any one and usually not more than 3-5 total at any time. Memory is usually at ~32% untilized. So I think I may be hardware. I am planning to take it to a service center to have them take a look.

I will post a clarification hear for posterity when / if i get additional information. May take a few days though.

Thanks for the help

Terry