Question

Guest bugmenot

Guest bugmenot

First let me congratulate you on a very high quality product! You should be very proud :)

Now my question. I have seen on other posts on this forum that MBAM is designed to detect and remove the 'harder' varieties of malware. Does this mean that it is not designed to catch the 'regular' spy/adware etc? By regular I mean the stuff that typical anti-spyware apps seem to find.

Basically, I'm asking: Is MBAM an anti-spyware app? As well as trojans/rootkits and whatever.

Forgive me if I'm being unclear, I couldn't think of a better way to phrase this.

Thanks

Some additional info:

Have you ever considered what makes an anti-malware application effective? We at Malwarebytes have created an easy-to-use, simple, and effective anti-malware application. Whether you know it or not your computer is always at risk of becoming infected with viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and malware that are constantly evolving and becoming harder to detect and remove. Only the most sophisticated anti-malware techniques can detect and remove these malicious programs from your computer.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is considered to be the next step in the detection and removal of malware. In our product we have compiled a number of new technologies that are designed to quickly detect, destroy, and prevent malware. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can detect and remove malware that even the most well known anti-virus and anti-malware applications fail to detect. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they even start. The Realtime Protection Module uses our advanced heuristic scanning technology which monitors your system to keep it safe and secure. In addition, we have implemented a threats center which will allow you to keep up to date with the latest malware threats.

Activating the full version unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating.

Guest bugmenot

Thanks a lot for the link melboy, it helped :)

@gerardwil

Thank you for the info. However, it gives the impression that MBAM detects viruses - does it? I never thought it did...

Thanks

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is considered to be the next step in the detection and removal of malware. In our product we have compiled a number of new technologies that are designed to quickly detect, destroy, and prevent malware. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can detect and remove malware that even the most well known anti-virus and anti-malware applications fail to detect.

Hi,

I am aware that you have created a great tool

but how comes the program itself is so small compared to some other as/am-tools ?

Does this means you use less deff's and more "technique" ? :)

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity

Berny +++

Guest bugmenot
Thank you for the info. However, it gives the impression that MBAM detects viruses - does it? I never thought it did...

Anyone know the answer to this?

Also, an answer to my original question by a mod would be greatly appreciated - no offense to the other commenters intended, its just that since they develop the product, they may be able to give a more detailed answer :)

Thanks, this has been a great help :)

Does this means you use less deff's and more "technique" ?

This has a lot to do with two things . We do not add legacy defs (malware that there is no way to come into contact with any more) because there are two effects that do not help the user :

1. pass tests only designed to award detection of millions of long dead old threats

2. huge slow database and much slower scan times

Passing fake tests and making our scan very slow does not help anyone . MBAM uses advanced heuristics combined with defs targetted at todays new malware and common AntiVirus software failures . This keeps MBAM on top of th new stuff that AV software is having issues with and keeps our scan nice and fast .

However, it gives the impression that MBAM detects viruses

We detect virus installers and we have limmited detection of virus infected malware files . We do not unpatch legit files as this is the job of dedicated antivirus software .

We are not trying to compete with antivirus software , only fill their gaps . For obvious reasons we are not going to change our name to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware , trojans , worms , rootkits , adware , spyware , bots , and virus installers . :)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/malwarenet.php

Viruses that we have hit are on the list .