System Tools Virus prevents log on to Windows

I have a P4 using Windows XP with SP3, which has opened today with the "System Tool" virus. The computer was given to me recently and has a password to log on to Windows but I can't even get past that screen, even when booting in Safe Mode. Sometimes when booting neither the mouse or curser will move at all, other times the mouse will work briefly and will place the curser in the box to fill in the password but the keyboard will not place any letters I type in the password box. It seems the virus is taking over before I can log on and do anything else, also I believe it's false desktop image is blocking whatever my computer is trying to show.

I have both Malwarebytes and AVG, and both were current updated as of Sunday Jan 2, but the virus got in and is not allowing me to run Malwarebytes and not allowing me to see anything else on the desktop. I do have a second computer lent to me that I can use to download and burn on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

Hello again,

sorry for my delay, but my landlord cut off my internet connection before I could begin working on the infected computer.

I want to have another working computer online next to the "sick" one when I try and fix it, and anticipate it taking many hours. I hope to move in a few days and be able to spend a day or two online again working on it, so please leave the thread open.

Thanks very much for your help.

Steve

How are we doing???

Do you still need help or shall I close this post??

MrC

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!