mbamservice.exe excessive disk load

This has been covered as a High CPU issue but for me that is not the case.

The mbamservice.exe continuously (more than 90% of the time) is placing a heavy disk load on my system. I use teh AnVir Task Manager free program to monitor things. Task manager doesn't show me disk usage (I'm on XP SP3).

It is always the highest disk usage process on my system. And it can leap up to 5x 10x 50x the disk usage of any other process - especially those which are trying to write to the disk and therefore it slows up my entire system dramatically!

Specifically, say I'm working with ACDSEE (a picture viewer/editor) and I save a simple 5 meg JPG. Instead of taking 1 second flat as it might without MB loaded, it can take from 10 to 55 seconds. Yes, 55 seconds! During this time, ACDSEE is using 1 % CPU, mbamservice is using 2% CPU but mbamservice is generating 17 mb/s of disk traffic, ACDSEE is generating about .5

What is going? This has been happening since version 1.4 something and upwards. I have the latest paid version of MB.

I'd like to add that this high disk usage occurs even when I'm not doing anything else!

While I'm typing this message it's generating between 17 and 44 mb/s of disk load. All I have open is a copy of Outlook (doing nothing) and IE and the Task Manger. It's not downloading updates (or at least I dont' thnk so)

• Root Admin

Please run the following scanner and post back the logs.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

• Root Admin

I don't even know where to start. This computer is rather old and has a lot of stuff installed and set to start on load. It appears it may have at least some adware on it if not possibly something more. The OS was installed just over 7 years ago.

If you really want a faster better working computer I'd highly recommend backing up all of your data and reinstall Windows from scratch again. Assuming that you're not up to it or wanting to rebuild the computer I would recommend having someone review your computer to check for Malware as shown below, and when done there I'd open a new post in the PC Help forum to have someone assist you with removing items that don't need to be running every time the computer starts.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

I uninstalled Malwarebytes and my computer returned to it's previous, full speed ahead performance. While it's an old PC I'm a very competent PC guy, only one process was absolutely killing the PC and it was the mbamservice.exe - no matter what I was doing on the PC it was always always running a heavy disk load. I removed MB and my computer is running just like new again. Kinda hard not to point to the obvious.

Thanks though

I don't even know where to start. This computer is rather old and has a lot of stuff installed and set to start on load. It appears it may have at least some adware on it if not possibly something more. The OS was installed just over 7 years ago.

If you really want a faster better working computer I'd highly recommend backing up all of your data and reinstall Windows from scratch again.

• Root Admin

We are researching it as there have now been a couple of reports like this. Not sure yet what is causing it or even on which OS. Will post back as soon as I learn more.

That said you could still do with a system cleanup which would greatly improve your system response even without our software installed.

At this time we have no ETA on the release date. Once it is released, it will be pushed out with our normal database updates as long as you have the Download and install program update if available. option checked under the Updater Settings tab located in the Settings tab.

It will also be announced in our news section here and if you wish, you may also sign up for our newsletter as detailed here to receive info on program releases and other important Malwarebytes info.